Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Nelson Manuel Marques

Default rpmlint: E: subdir-in-bin

Hi all,

The Darwin Streaming Server (DSS) package I'm working on is nearly
prepared, i'm just debugging the last rpmlint errors and I have a few
doubts on procedures to fix this errors.

Currently I have a "subdir-in-bin" issue. DSS installs in %_sbin a
directory called "StreamingServerModules" with a few modules. I suspect
this directory doesn't really need to be in %_sbin as we have a
configuration file in which we can define "DEFAULTPATHS_SSM_DIR" (DSS
module directory, the one triggering this rpmlint error).

My humble question is... where should I move this directory to (arch
dependant)? Things I can think of:

1. %_libexecdir/%{_name}/StreamingServerModules
2. %{_libdir}/%{_name}/StreamingServerModules

Anyone can give me a suggestion for this ?

Thanks in advance,
nelson marques

Old 11-25-2011, 12:41 PM
"Nathanael D. Noblet"

The Darwin Streaming Server (DSS) package I'm working on is nearly
prepared, i'm just debugging the last rpmlint errors and I have a few
doubts on procedures to fix this errors.

Currently I have a "subdir-in-bin" issue. DSS installs in %_sbin a
directory called "StreamingServerModules" with a few modules. I suspect
this directory doesn't really need to be in %_sbin as we have a
configuration file in which we can define "DEFAULTPATHS_SSM_DIR" (DSS
module directory, the one triggering this rpmlint error).

My humble question is... where should I move this directory to (arch
dependant)? Things I can think of:

1. %_libexecdir/%{_name}/StreamingServerModules
2. %{_libdir}/%{_name}/StreamingServerModules

Anyone can give me a suggestion for this ?

If I'm not mistaken #1 is for binaries that will be called only by the
'main' binary. So for example, I know that cyrus-imapd has a number of
programs it uses to deliver mail and they are in a similar location as
#1. Whereas the main binary is in the system path. I could be wrong but
I'd go with #1.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Mathieu Bridon

On Fri, 2011-11-25 at 06:41 -0700, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> On 11/25/2011 03:53 AM, Nelson Manuel Marques wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The Darwin Streaming Server (DSS) package I'm working on is nearly
> > prepared, i'm just debugging the last rpmlint errors and I have a few
> > doubts on procedures to fix this errors.
> >
> > Currently I have a "subdir-in-bin" issue. DSS installs in %_sbin a
> > directory called "StreamingServerModules" with a few modules. I suspect
> > this directory doesn't really need to be in %_sbin as we have a
> > configuration file in which we can define "DEFAULTPATHS_SSM_DIR" (DSS
> > module directory, the one triggering this rpmlint error).
> >
> > My humble question is... where should I move this directory to (arch
> > dependant)? Things I can think of:
> >
> > 1. %_libexecdir/%{_name}/StreamingServerModules
> > 2. %{_libdir}/%{_name}/StreamingServerModules
> >
> > Anyone can give me a suggestion for this ?
>
> If I'm not mistaken #1 is for binaries that will be called only by the
> 'main' binary. So for example, I know that cyrus-imapd has a number of
> programs it uses to deliver mail and they are in a similar location as
> #1. Whereas the main binary is in the system path. I could be wrong but
> I'd go with #1.

That's the way it usually is in Fedora.

Except libexec is not in the FHS (IIRC it is a GNU convention), so there
isn't really any one true way , there's still some debate, and some
packagers prefer having this kind of things in %{_libdir} (or /usr/lib
if it's not architecture-dependent)

I'd say both are fine, just pick one, and maybe your reviewer will ask
you to use the other one.

--
Mathieu