Old 11-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Iain Arnell

Default rpmlint (EPEL) for EL5

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Nelson Manuel Marques
<nelson-m-marques@ext.ptinovacao.pt> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> EPEL provides rpmlint for EL5 (version 0.94 if I'm not mistaken). I've tried to install it on a test machine (RHEL 5.5) and it doesn't install because it fails to resolve dependencies, xz. I don't believe xz is provided by RHEL repositories, and it seems it's not also provided by EPEL.

According to the technical notes[1], xz was added as a new package in RHEL 5.5.

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/5.5_Technical_Notes/xz.html

--
Iain.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 11/17/2011 02:24 PM, Nelson Manuel Marques wrote:

Hi all,

EPEL provides rpmlint for EL5 (version 0.94 if I'm not mistaken). I've tried to install it on a test machine (RHEL 5.5) and it doesn't install because it fails to resolve dependencies, xz. I don't believe xz is provided by RHEL repositories, and it seems it's not also provided by EPEL.

Package fails to install. What are the normal procedures to get this fixed? I would assume that using a conditional to check the version and include the xz dependency only for RHEL6 or superior would do the trick, as an example:

%if 0%{?rhel_version}>= 6
Requires: xz
%endif

Bug reports for EPEL are submitted on bugzilla.redhat.com?

xz is in the base repository of RHEL ( and EPEL builds against the
latest release )

OTOH your machine needs to be updated to a more recent RHEL version:

#yum list *xz*
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Determining fastest mirrors
Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Base
Finished
Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Updates
Finished
Available Packages
xz.x86_64
4.999.9-0.3.beta.20091007git.el5 base
xz-devel.i386
4.999.9-0.3.beta.20091007git.el5 base
xz-devel.x86_64
4.999.9-0.3.beta.20091007git.el5 base
xz-libs.i386
4.999.9-0.3.beta.20091007git.el5 base
xz-libs.x86_64
4.999.9-0.3.beta.20091007git.el5 base
xz-lzma-compat.x86_64
4.999.9-0.3.beta.20091007git.el5 base

Manuel

Old 11-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Nelson Manuel Marques

Ian and Manuel,

Thanks. I will update the machine and go from there.

NM