-   -   Important: Broken EPEL mirror breaking EPEL in UK - "mirrorservice.org" (http://www.linux-archive.org/epel-development/591934-important-broken-epel-mirror-breaking-epel-uk-mirrorservice-org.html)

"Bell D." 10-27-2011 03:33 PM

Important: Broken EPEL mirror breaking EPEL in UK - "mirrorservice.org"

Hello,

Nearly all of our RHEL4/5/6 desktops and workstations at the University of Southampton use the EPEL repository (via the epel-release rpm). For the past few days the mirrorservice.org mirror appear to be broken, generating errors like these on RHEL:

[root@uos-5416 cache]# yum clean all
Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
Cleaning up Everything
[root@uos-5416 cache]# yum check-update
Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
epel | 3.7 kB 00:00
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/c33521c50de98dfe6d4031fd81f997e7bdcfc1c2-primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
http://mirrors.coreix.net/fedora-epel/5/x86_64/repodata/c33521c50de98dfe6d4031fd81f997e7bdcfc1c2-primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/fedora/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/c33521c50de98dfe6d4031fd81f997e7bdcfc1c2-primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
http://mirror01.th.ifl.net/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/c33521c50de98dfe6d4031fd81f997e7bdcfc1c2-primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/c33521c50de98dfe6d4031fd81f997e7bdcfc1c2-primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
http://mirrors.coreix.net/fedora-epel/5/x86_64/repodata/c33521c50de98dfe6d4031fd81f997e7bdcfc1c2-primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/fedora/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/c33521c50de98dfe6d4031fd81f997e7bdcfc1c2-primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
http://mirror01.th.ifl.net/epel/5/x86_64/repodata/c33521c50de98dfe6d4031fd81f997e7bdcfc1c2-primary.sqlite.bz2: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
Error: failure: repodata/c33521c50de98dfe6d4031fd81f997e7bdcfc1c2-primary.sqlite.bz2 from epel: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

The yum configuration (as set by epel-release rpm) uses mirrors.fedoraproject.org to generate mirrors to use, which right now are:

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/x86_64/
http://mirror01.th.ifl.net/epel/5/x86_64/
http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/fedora/epel/5/x86_64/
http://mirrors.coreix.net/fedora-epel/5/x86_64/

You can view this list anywhere in the world like so: http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=epel-5&arch=x86_64&country=gb

The bottom four mirrors all seem to be correct, but the first mirror (mirrorservice.org) is broken, its repomd.xml file refers to files which are not on the mirror (or in fact on any of the mirrors!).

Can somebody either remove the mirrorservice.org mirror ASAP from the generator on mirrors.fedoraproject.org system, or fix the mirror. The one broken mirror appears to in effect break EPEL altogether in the UK because as soon as yum caches the repomd.xml file from the first mirror (mirroservice.org) it then continues to look for the invalid/non-existent SQLite file which doesn't exist on all of the other mirrors - because it's using the repomd.xml file from the first mirror. Right now that means all our server and desktop builds are broken and our customers are reporting that their desktops tell them that the system is not receiving updates.

I've cc'ed in help@mirrorservice.org onto this e-mail since it is their mirror which is currently giving out incorrect info.

Cheers,

David Bell
Enterprise Systems Team
University of Southampton

"Bell D." 10-27-2011 04:10 PM

Important: Broken EPEL mirror breaking EPEL in UK - "mirrorservice.org"

Would it be possible for somebody to remove it from the Fedora mirror list
until it is fixed then?

(Sorry for the incorrect quoting/top-posting of this e-mail; I'm forced to
use Outlook/Exchange for my work email).

Cheers,

David

On 27/10/2011 16:45, "Emyr James" <emyrjames1@googlemail.com> wrote:

On 27/10/11 16:33, Bell D. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Nearly all of our RHEL4/5/6 desktops and workstations at the University
>of Southampton use the EPEL repository (via the epel-release rpm). For
>the past few days the mirrorservice.org mirror appear to be broken,
>generating errors like these on RHEL:

I noticed this too. I logged a bug report on their site but have heard
nothing from them.

Nick Bebout 10-27-2011 04:15 PM

Important: Broken EPEL mirror breaking EPEL in UK - "mirrorservice.org"

I have marked it as not "admin_active" so it should disappear from mirror lists shortly.

I'll try to remember to check on it and I will email the mirror's admins when I get hometonight, but if anyone notices it being fixed, please let me or another mirrormanager admin know so we can reenable it.

Nick

Sent from my iPhone

"Bell D." 10-27-2011 09:52 PM

Important: Broken EPEL mirror breaking EPEL in UK - "mirrorservice.org"

Hello,

Thank you very much indeed - removing the mirror has fixed the problem for now (after I run yum clean all anyway!).

I just hope all our workstations's cache clears/updates soon enough automatically :)

Cheers,

David

the past few days the mirrorservice.org<http://mirrorservice.org> mirror appear to be broken,

mirrors.fedoraproject.org<http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org> to generate mirrors to use, which right now are:

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/x
86_64/
http://mirror01.th.ifl.net/epel/5/x86_64/
http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/fedora/epel/5/x86_64/
http://mirrors.coreix.net/fedora-epel/5/x86_64/

You can view this list anywhere in the world like so:
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=epel-5&arch=x86_64&countr
y=gb

The bottom four mirrors all seem to be correct, but the first mirror
(mirrorservice.org<http://mirrorservice.org>) is broken, its repomd.xml file refers to files which
are not on the mirror (or in fact on any of the mirrors!).

Can somebody either remove the mirrorservice.org<http://mirrorservice.org> mirror ASAP from the
generator on mirrors.fedoraproject.org<http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org> system, or fix the mirror. The one
(mirroservice.org<http://mirroservice.org>) it then continues to look for the invalid/non-existent

I've cc'ed in help@mirrorservice.org<mailto:help@mirrorservice.o rg> onto this e-mail since it is their