Old 08-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Default python-turbojson from EPEL trying to upgrade CentOS 6 rpm

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 17:50:36 +0100
Pthagonal <pthagonal@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a CentOS 6 test server, and have added the EPEL repo in order
> to add yum-cron - that has all gone fine & dandy so far - big thanks
> to everyone for their hard work.
>
> Two days ago, yum-cron notified me that python-turbojson.noarch
> 1.3-3el6 was available as an EPEL update - but it is trying to update
> python-turbojson-1.2.1-8.1.el6.noarch that was shipped in CentOS 6.
>
> Is this expected behaviour? I'm used to using DAG and rpmforge in
> the past on CentOS 4/5, and using includepkgs to limit changes to
> only those needed for the specific packages I'm trying to add to the
> o/s. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my memory, I thought that the
> idea of EPEL was not to tamper with the original o/s - indeed I was
> pleased to see that on initial hookup of the repo it wasn't trying to
> upgrade any centos rpms. I expect my memory is wrong!

This is not expected. ;(

There should not be a newer one in epel. ;(

I will try and track down whats going on and get that version removed.

kevin

Old 08-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 08/04/2011 11:15 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> This is not expected. ;(
>
> There should not be a newer one in epel. ;(
>
> I will try and track down whats going on and get that version removed.

Would be very useful to have script check this. I have made this
mistake myself on more than one occasion and sometimes RHEL includes
packages that weren't there before and sometimes even based on the EPEL
package without the package maintainer in EPEL being aware of this. A
scripted report cc'ed to package maintainers would go a long way towards
avoiding such problems in the future

Rahul

Old 08-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 11:45:33AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 17:50:36 +0100
> Pthagonal <pthagonal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a CentOS 6 test server, and have added the EPEL repo in order
> > to add yum-cron - that has all gone fine & dandy so far - big thanks
> > to everyone for their hard work.
> >
> > Two days ago, yum-cron notified me that python-turbojson.noarch
> > 1.3-3el6 was available as an EPEL update - but it is trying to update
> > python-turbojson-1.2.1-8.1.el6.noarch that was shipped in CentOS 6.
> >
> > Is this expected behaviour? I'm used to using DAG and rpmforge in
> > the past on CentOS 4/5, and using includepkgs to limit changes to
> > only those needed for the specific packages I'm trying to add to the
> > o/s. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my memory, I thought that the
> > idea of EPEL was not to tamper with the original o/s - indeed I was
> > pleased to see that on initial hookup of the repo it wasn't trying to
> > upgrade any centos rpms. I expect my memory is wrong!
>
> This is not expected. ;(
>
> There should not be a newer one in epel. ;(
>
> I will try and track down whats going on and get that version removed.

We should block this. When we were getting epel6 up and running I built
a python-turbojson before realizing it was in RHEL6. We removed that from
the repo before epel6 came out of beta and I created a python-turbjson13
package with the updated python-turbojson that I needed for the TurboGears
dependency that we had.

Looks like I didn't properly retire the package in EPEL6 afterwards and
lmacken built a new version of the package today. So we need to block this
(remembering to leave the RHEL6 version available for building from the
RHEL6 repo in koji) and I'll retire in git and pkgdb.

-Toshio

Old 08-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Pthagonal

On 5 August 2011 07:07, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 11:45:33AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 17:50:36 +0100

> Pthagonal <pthagonal@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I have a CentOS 6 test server, and have added the EPEL repo in order

> > to add yum-cron - that has all gone fine & dandy so far - big thanks

> > to everyone for their hard work.

> > Two days ago, yum-cron notified me that python-turbojson.noarch

> > 1.3-3el6 was available as an EPEL update - but it is trying to update

> > python-turbojson-1.2.1-8.1.el6.noarch that was shipped in CentOS 6.

> > Is this expected behaviour? *I'm used to using DAG and rpmforge in

> > the past on CentOS 4/5, and using includepkgs to limit changes to

> > only those needed for the specific packages I'm trying to add to the

> > o/s. *Somewhere in the dark recesses of my memory, I thought that the

> > idea of EPEL was not to tamper with the original o/s - indeed I was

> > pleased to see that on initial hookup of the repo it wasn't trying to

> > upgrade any centos rpms. I expect my memory is wrong!

> This is not expected. ;(

> There should not be a newer one in epel. ;(

> I will try and track down whats going on and get that version removed.

We should block this. *When we were getting epel6 up and running I built

a python-turbojson before realizing it was in RHEL6. *We removed that from

the repo before epel6 came out of beta and I created a python-turbjson13

package with the updated python-turbojson that I needed for the TurboGears

dependency that we had.

Looks like I didn't properly retire the package in EPEL6 afterwards and

lmacken built a new version of the package today. *So we need to block this

(remembering to leave the RHEL6 version available for building from the

RHEL6 repo in koji) and I'll retire in git and pkgdb.

-Toshio--

The errant package now appears to have been removed from EPEL - thanks guys :-)

Cheers,

Tony

Old 08-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 00:37:49 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/04/2011 11:15 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > This is not expected. ;(
> >
> > There should not be a newer one in epel. ;(
> >
> > I will try and track down whats going on and get that version
> > removed.
>
> Would be very useful to have script check this. I have made this
> mistake myself on more than one occasion and sometimes RHEL includes
> packages that weren't there before and sometimes even based on the
> EPEL package without the package maintainer in EPEL being aware of
> this. A scripted report cc'ed to package maintainers would go a long
> way towards avoiding such problems in the future

Yeah, agreed.

I've not had time to implement this, but it's on my list.
It will need to run in infrastructure in order to be able to see all
the packages we build against. ;(

kevin