-   -   Where is a new EPEL branched from? (http://www.linux-archive.org/epel-development/547679-where-new-epel-branched.html)

Björn Persson 07-03-2011 09:11 PM

Where is a new EPEL branched from?

Hello!

I'm considering making EPEL 6 branches of my Fedora packages. I've found
answers to most of my questions in the wiki, but one question remains:

When a new version of RHEL is released, where is the corresponding new EPEL
branched from? From the previous EPEL, from Rawhide or from some Fedora
release?

Björn Persson

Kevin Fenzi 07-03-2011 09:20 PM

Where is a new EPEL branched from?

On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 23:11:16 +0200
Björn Persson <bjorn@xn--rombobjrn-67a.se> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm considering making EPEL 6 branches of my Fedora packages. I've
> found answers to most of my questions in the wiki, but one question
> remains:
>
> When a new version of RHEL is released, where is the corresponding
> new EPEL branched from? From the previous EPEL, from Rawhide or from
> some Fedora release?

epel4 -> master
epel5 -> master
epel6 -> f12

(The logic being that rhel6 was somewhat based on f12, and the other
ones are so old we no longer have active branches for the releases that
they were based on).

You can of course import whatever you like after the branch is made.

kevin

Kevin Fenzi 07-03-2011 09:22 PM

Where is a new EPEL branched from?

Replying again... I might have misread your query.

If you mean a completely new branch (like a RHEL7) we would probibly
branch from whatever Fedora release most closely matches that, but
maintainers could of course override that and build whatever they wish
in those branches.

kevin

Björn Persson 07-03-2011 10:24 PM

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Replying again... I might have misread your query.
>
> If you mean a completely new branch (like a RHEL7) we would probibly
> branch from whatever Fedora release most closely matches that, but
> maintainers could of course override that and build whatever they wish
> in those branches.

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks.

Björn Persson

Dennis Gilmore 07-12-2011 03:42 AM

On Sunday, July 03, 2011 04:20:14 PM Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 23:11:16 +0200
>
> Björn Persson <bjorn@xn--rombobjrn-67a.se> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm considering making EPEL 6 branches of my Fedora packages. I've
> > found answers to most of my questions in the wiki, but one question
> > remains:
> >
> > When a new version of RHEL is released, where is the corresponding
> > new EPEL branched from? From the previous EPEL, from Rawhide or from
> > some Fedora release?
>
> epel4 -> master
epel-4 comes from FC-3 if it exists if not rawhide
> epel5 -> master
epel-5 comes from FC-6 if it exists if not rawhide
> epel6 -> f12
epel-6 comes from F-12 if it exists if not rawhide

Björn Persson 07-12-2011 07:30 PM

Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Sunday, July 03, 2011 04:20:14 PM Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > epel4 -> master
>
> epel-4 comes from FC-3 if it exists if not rawhide
>
> > epel5 -> master
>
> epel-5 comes from FC-6 if it exists if not rawhide
>
> > epel6 -> f12
>
> epel-6 comes from F-12 if it exists if not rawhide

May i ask what exactly you mean with "if it exists"?

Fedpkg lists a remote "origin/f12" branch for all of my packages, so in that
sense they exist in F-12, but the el6 branches I got when my package change
requests were processed all started out with the same content as the master
branch.

In this case I would have synchronized them with Rawhide anyway, and then
adapted them as necessary from there, so I'm not complaining, but I notice a
discrepancy between what I saw and what you're saying.

When the time comes for EPEL 7 I will probably prefer that the packages are
branched from the most closely matching Fedora release (as Kevin says they
will probably be).

Björn Persson

Dennis Gilmore 07-12-2011 10:59 PM

On Tuesday, July 12, 2011 02:30:51 PM Björn Persson wrote:
> Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > On Sunday, July 03, 2011 04:20:14 PM Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > > epel4 -> master
> >
> > epel-4 comes from FC-3 if it exists if not rawhide
> >
> > > epel5 -> master
> >
> > epel-5 comes from FC-6 if it exists if not rawhide
> >
> > > epel6 -> f12
> >
> > epel-6 comes from F-12 if it exists if not rawhide
>
> May i ask what exactly you mean with "if it exists"?
>
> Fedpkg lists a remote "origin/f12" branch for all of my packages, so in
> that sense they exist in F-12, but the el6 branches I got when my package
> change requests were processed all started out with the same content as
> the master branch.
>
> In this case I would have synchronized them with Rawhide anyway, and then
> adapted them as necessary from there, so I'm not complaining, but I notice
> a discrepancy between what I saw and what you're saying.
>
> When the time comes for EPEL 7 I will probably prefer that the packages are
> branched from the most closely matching Fedora release (as Kevin says they
> will probably be).

hrrm ok, well if it exists means if there is a branch. i guess there is a
issue with the branching scripts. ill have to look at it

Dennis