Old 06-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Ville Skyttä

Default Percona MySQL and MariaDB in EPEL

On 06/19/2011 07:01 PM, Marian Marinov wrote:

> I'm planning on proposing both Percona-SQL and MariaDB packages for inclusion
> in the EPEL-5 repo.
>
> I wish to know would you accept these packages in EPEL if they are a
> replacement of the current mysql.

I think that's clearly a "no".

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL#What_is_Extra_Packages_for_Enterprise_Linux_. 28or_EPEL.29.3F

"EPEL packages [...] will never conflict with or replace packages in the
base Enterprise Linux distributions."

Old 06-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Marian Marinov

On Sunday 19 June 2011 20:45:17 Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On 06/19/2011 07:01 PM, Marian Marinov wrote:
> > I'm planning on proposing both Percona-SQL and MariaDB packages for
> > inclusion in the EPEL-5 repo.
> >
> > I wish to know would you accept these packages in EPEL if they are a
> > replacement of the current mysql.
>
> I think that's clearly a "no".
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL#What_is_Extra_Packages_for_Enterprise_Li
> nux_.28or_EPEL.29.3F
>
> "EPEL packages [...] will never conflict with or replace packages in the
> base Enterprise Linux distributions."

Huh, I'm sorry I forgot that. I'll talk with the CentOS guys to see if I can
include them in the CentOSplus repo.

Regards,
Marian

Old 06-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Aaron Knister

Depending on the definition of replace I wonder if you could do a Provides: mysql as long as your the packages would appear similarly to dependent packages.

Sent from my iPhone

Old 06-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Steve Traylen

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Aaron Knister <aaron.knister@gmail.com> wrote:
> Depending on the definition of replace I wonder if you could do a Provides: mysql as long as your the packages would appear similarly to dependent packages.

Ignoring EPEL for now if there are multiple mysqls arround then encouraging
Fedora to adapt the mysql to support alternatives has to be the long
term solution.

Note I have never ever looked at MariaDB or Percona. Do they really
use the same deamon names, library names, etc,....?

Is MySQL to Percona MySQL to MariaDB
the same as
sendmail to exim to postgres?

Steve

--
Steve Traylen

Old 06-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Marian Marinov

On Sunday 19 June 2011 22:17:11 Steve Traylen wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Aaron Knister <aaron.knister@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Depending on the definition of replace I wonder if you could do a
> > Provides: mysql as long as your the packages would appear similarly to
> > dependent packages.
>
> Ignoring EPEL for now if there are multiple mysqls arround then encouraging
> Fedora to adapt the mysql to support alternatives has to be the long
> term solution.
>
> Note I have never ever looked at MariaDB or Percona. Do they really
> use the same deamon names, library names, etc,....?
>
> Is MySQL to Percona MySQL to MariaDB
> the same as
> sendmail to exim to postgres?

They are actually the same code. Percona is Oracle's MySQL but includes the
google patches(InnoDB high performance and user statistics). Percona also adds
one more storage engine XtraDB.

MariaDB was a fork of MySQL when it began. Now it has a lot of changes that
make it quite different, again adding some of the Google patches and adding new
storage engines.

So all 3 packages generate the same binaries and libraries. So in fact they
are the same thing. Both MariaDB and Percona-SQL are drop in replacements of
Oracle's MySQL.

This is why I think of them as a replacement of the default MySQL. MySQL
stopped accepting patches changing the general functionality of MySQL when
they were aquired by SUN. So then was born Percona, it was needed because a
lot of us want the Google patches. And when Oracle aquired SUN, MariaDB fork
was born.

--
Best regards,
Marian Marinov

Old 06-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Marian Marinov

On Sunday 19 June 2011 21:53:46 Aaron Knister wrote:
> Depending on the definition of replace I wonder if you could do a Provides:
> mysql as long as your the packages would appear similarly to dependent
> packages.

Yes, I think it should do 'Provides: mysql'. Otherwise it will break quire a
few packages.

But as far as I understand, this is again a replacement of a base package.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 19, 2011, at 2:19 PM, Marian Marinov <mm@yuhu.biz> wrote:

> >> I think that's clearly a "no".
> >>
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL#What_is_Extra_Packages_for_Enterprise
> >> _Li nux_.28or_EPEL.29.3F
> >>
> >> "EPEL packages [...] will never conflict with or replace packages in the
> >> base Enterprise Linux distributions."
> >
> > Huh, I'm sorry I forgot that. I'll talk with the CentOS guys to see if I
> > can include them in the CentOSplus repo.
> >

> > Regards,
> > Marian

Best regards,
Marian Marinov

Old 06-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

Depending on the definition of replace I wonder if you could do a Provides:
mysql as long as your the packages would appear similarly to dependent
packages.

Yes, I think it should do 'Provides: mysql'. Otherwise it will break quire a
few packages.

But as far as I understand, this is again a replacement of a base package.

If you package them as a direct replacement for mysql then yes but I would
argue given that these versions are changed quite a bit they sould be
packaged separately instead.

Regards,
Dennis

Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Marian Marinov

On Sunday 19 June 2011 22:38:28 Marian Marinov wrote:
> On Sunday 19 June 2011 22:17:11 Steve Traylen wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Aaron Knister <aaron.knister@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > > Depending on the definition of replace I wonder if you could do a
> > > Provides: mysql as long as your the packages would appear similarly to
> > > dependent packages.
> >
> > Ignoring EPEL for now if there are multiple mysqls arround then
> > encouraging Fedora to adapt the mysql to support alternatives has to be
> > the long term solution.
> >
> > Note I have never ever looked at MariaDB or Percona. Do they really
> > use the same deamon names, library names, etc,....?
> >
> > Is MySQL to Percona MySQL to MariaDB
> > the same as
> > sendmail to exim to postgres?
>
> They are actually the same code. Percona is Oracle's MySQL but includes the
> google patches(InnoDB high performance and user statistics). Percona also
> adds one more storage engine XtraDB.
>
> MariaDB was a fork of MySQL when it began. Now it has a lot of changes that
> make it quite different, again adding some of the Google patches and adding
> new storage engines.
>
> So all 3 packages generate the same binaries and libraries. So in fact they
> are the same thing. Both MariaDB and Percona-SQL are drop in replacements
> of Oracle's MySQL.
>
> This is why I think of them as a replacement of the default MySQL. MySQL
> stopped accepting patches changing the general functionality of MySQL when
> they were aquired by SUN. So then was born Percona, it was needed because a
> lot of us want the Google patches. And when Oracle aquired SUN, MariaDB
> fork was born.
>
> > Steve

I have thought about building both MySQL packages as a separate daemons but
the problem is that since they are one and the same, they use the same port
,the same configuration files and the same data directories.

Althou that could be changed with a few simple patches this would make them
somewhat cripled.
Also the userland tools use the same configuration files (~/.my.cnf) which will
complicate things even more.

Is it possible for the EPEL policy to bend a little here for at least one of
these packages ?

Best regards,
Marian

Old 06-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:11:17 +0300
Marian Marinov <mm@yuhu.biz> wrote:

> I have thought about building both MySQL packages as a separate
> daemons but the problem is that since they are one and the same, they
> use the same port ,the same configuration files and the same data
> directories.
>
> Althou that could be changed with a few simple patches this would
> make them somewhat cripled.
> Also the userland tools use the same configuration files (~/.my.cnf)
> which will complicate things even more.
>
> Is it possible for the EPEL policy to bend a little here for at least
> one of these packages ?

I suppose these could fall under the compatibility packages thing we
have been talking about for things like newer boost or the like.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Conflicts#Compat_Package_Conflicts

I think we are drving down a slippery slope here tho.
A downside of this kind of thing also is packages or people who do 'yum
install /usr/bin/mysqld'. They aren't really sure what they will get
there.

I wonder if this wouldn't be better in IUS?

Or talk with upstream about renaming things so it can parallel install,
and then perhaps we could change packages to need 'mysql-database' or
something that could get added as a virtual provides to all of these?

Not sure there's a good answer here.

kevin

Old 06-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

[...]

That doesn't look like much of a problem though. If you need something
specific then you should install something specific. If on the other hand
"anything that provides /usr/bin/mysqld" is good enough then you can't
really complain.

I wonder if this wouldn't be better in IUS?

Or talk with upstream about renaming things so it can parallel install,
and then perhaps we could change packages to need 'mysql-database' or
something that could get added as a virtual provides to all of these?

The question is if the other upstreams consider themselves to be
alternative implementations of MySQL and pledge to uphold compatibility or
if they consider themselves to be forks of the original project. If it's
the latter then they should live in their own space and change names of
binaries, paths, etc. the same way drizzle did. If they are simply
alternative implementations though this would probably have to be resolved
using proper conflicts/provides in the rpm's.

Regards,
Dennis