Old 06-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Marian Marinov

Default Paths dilema

Hello,
I'm preparing my own software source RPMs for inclusion into EPEL-5.
My software is similar to fail2ban but it also includes a nice web interface.

While I'm distributing this software with my own commercial products I ship
the software in two packages. One for the software and one for the javascript
library that I use in the web interface(ExtJS/Sencha). I do that because I
have other web interfaces using the same javascript library.

I talked with wolfy on irc and I have a dilema about how to organize the
package for the EPEL repository.

Should I continue to have the javascript library as a separate package?

Also if it is a separate package, what would be the appropriate place for the
files?

Since it is a library it should be under /usr/lib, but since it is only web
related, maybe the better place would be under /var/www.
In either case my application should have a symlink to the directory in order
to work.

Also if it is under /var/www wolfy mentioned that it would be best if it is
not web accessible, what are your toughs about that?

So guys, please give me some advice, I want to minimize the work of the
reviewer once I file the package review request.

--
Best regards,
Marian Marinov

Old 06-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 06:27:32PM +0300, Marian Marinov wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm preparing my own software source RPMs for inclusion into EPEL-5.
> My software is similar to fail2ban but it also includes a nice web interface.
>
> While I'm distributing this software with my own commercial products I ship
> the software in two packages. One for the software and one for the javascript
> library that I use in the web interface(ExtJS/Sencha). I do that because I
> have other web interfaces using the same javascript library.
>
> I talked with wolfy on irc and I have a dilema about how to organize the
> package for the EPEL repository.
>
> Should I continue to have the javascript library as a separate package?

Yes, that would be quite nice.

> Also if it is a separate package, what would be the appropriate place for the
> files?
>
> Since it is a library it should be under /usr/lib, but since it is only web
> related, maybe the better place would be under /var/www.
> In either case my application should have a symlink to the directory in order
> to work.

/usr/share (%{_datadir} in an rpm spec file)

Look at the MochiKit package for one example:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=MochiKit.git;a=tree

Also look at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaScript_libraries_packaging_guideline_draft
for some more current ideas (This is just a draft so it's not to be taken as
MUSTs for now, though.)

> Also if it is under /var/www wolfy mentioned that it would be best if it is
> not web accessible, what are your toughs about that?

It should not be under /var/www... Use the apache.conf to set it up to be
served.

-Toshio

Old 06-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Marian Marinov

On Monday 20 June 2011 19:37:38 Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 06:27:32PM +0300, Marian Marinov wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm preparing my own software source RPMs for inclusion into EPEL-5.
> > My software is similar to fail2ban but it also includes a nice web
> > interface.
> >
> > While I'm distributing this software with my own commercial products I
> > ship the software in two packages. One for the software and one for the
> > javascript library that I use in the web interface(ExtJS/Sencha). I do
> > that because I have other web interfaces using the same javascript
> > library.
> >
> > I talked with wolfy on irc and I have a dilema about how to organize the
> > package for the EPEL repository.
> >
> > Should I continue to have the javascript library as a separate package?
>
> Yes, that would be quite nice.
>
> > Also if it is a separate package, what would be the appropriate place for
> > the files?
> >
> > Since it is a library it should be under /usr/lib, but since it is only
> > web related, maybe the better place would be under /var/www.
> > In either case my application should have a symlink to the directory in
> > order to work.
>
> /usr/share (%{_datadir} in an rpm spec file)
>
> Look at the MochiKit package for one example:
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=MochiKit.git;a=tree
>
> Also look at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaScript_libraries_packaging_guideline_draf
> t for some more current ideas (This is just a draft so it's not to be taken
> as MUSTs for now, though.)

Toshio, thanks for the information. It was quire helpful.

But now I have more questions
Since currentle there isn't %{_sysconfdir}/js.d/ wouldn't it be better if i
create a %{_sysconfdir}/httpd/conf.d/jslibs.conf in which I define alias for my
library:
Alias /js/extjs /usr/share/extjs

And we can then add additional aliases to that file.

> > Also if it is under /var/www wolfy mentioned that it would be best if it
> > is not web accessible, what are your toughs about that?
>
> It should not be under /var/www... Use the apache.conf to set it up to be
> served.

Do you mean that I have to have a %{_sysconfdir}/httpd/conf.d/hawk.conf (Hawk
is the name of my application). And in it to have aliases setup for my
application? If so, where should the web interface reside? Under
%{_datadir}/hawk ?

> -Toshio

Marian

Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 08:39:24PM +0300, Marian Marinov wrote:
> On Monday 20 June 2011 19:37:38 Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >
> > Look at the MochiKit package for one example:
> > http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=MochiKit.git;a=tree
> >
> > Also look at
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaScript_libraries_packaging_guideline_draf
> > t for some more current ideas (This is just a draft so it's not to be taken
> > as MUSTs for now, though.)
>
> Toshio, thanks for the information. It was quire helpful.
>
> But now I have more questions
> Since currentle there isn't %{_sysconfdir}/js.d/ wouldn't it be better if i
> create a %{_sysconfdir}/httpd/conf.d/jslibs.conf in which I define alias for my
> library:
> Alias /js/extjs /usr/share/extjs
>
> And we can then add additional aliases to that file.

+1

yeah, since the javascript library guidelines are still a draft, that extra
dir doesn't exist so your proposal works well.

> > > Also if it is under /var/www wolfy mentioned that it would be best if it
> > > is not web accessible, what are your toughs about that?
> >
> > It should not be under /var/www... Use the apache.conf to set it up to be
> > served.
>
> Do you mean that I have to have a %{_sysconfdir}/httpd/conf.d/hawk.conf (Hawk
> is the name of my application). And in it to have aliases setup for my
> application? If so, where should the web interface reside? Under
> %{_datadir}/hawk ?

I was talking specifically about the javascript library but yeah, /var/www
shouldn't directly be used for hawk either. Your proposed solution sounds
good. Take a look at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Web_Applications

-Toshio