Old 06-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus

Default epel 4 and python-twisted-* packages

Hi all,

what happened to the python twisted framework in EPEL 4? For quite a
while I receive broken dependency mails for the package pyicq-t but only
for the EL4 branch, where I'm even not a maintainer of. Since I'm not
using EL4 I'm not really up to date, but if I remember right the
framework was available at least a year ago. Was it silently removed? If
so, what should happen to packages which depend on it?

Regards,
Stefan

Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Paul Howarth

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 11:25:59 +0200
Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus <stefan@seekline.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> what happened to the python twisted framework in EPEL 4? For quite a
> while I receive broken dependency mails for the package pyicq-t but
> only for the EL4 branch, where I'm even not a maintainer of. Since
> I'm not using EL4 I'm not really up to date, but if I remember right
> the framework was available at least a year ago. Was it silently
> removed? If so, what should happen to packages which depend on it?

There isn't even a git branch for python-twisted-core for el4 so I'd be
surprised if it ever existed there.

Unless someone wants to build python-twisted-* for el4 and look after
it for the last nine months or so of its life, it would probably make
more sense to pull dependent packages from the repo.

If someone actually does want to build python-twisted-* for el4, I have
some packages here that may be a good base:

http://mirror.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/bittorrent/Twisted/RHEL-4/

I don't want to do it myself though.

Paul.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:57 AM

On So, 2011-06-05 at 11:28 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 11:25:59 +0200
> Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus <stefan@seekline.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > what happened to the python twisted framework in EPEL 4? For quite a
> > while I receive broken dependency mails for the package pyicq-t but
> > only for the EL4 branch, where I'm even not a maintainer of. Since
> > I'm not using EL4 I'm not really up to date, but if I remember right
> > the framework was available at least a year ago. Was it silently
> > removed? If so, what should happen to packages which depend on it?
>
> There isn't even a git branch for python-twisted-core for el4 so I'd be
> surprised if it ever existed there.

Your right but then I don't know why I received broken dependency mails
for the last couple of weeks/months but not, lets say, a year ago. The
package pyicq-t for EL4 has not changed since 2009 but I receive the
broken dependency mails only since a couple of weeks/months and not
since 2009. This is something which confuses me:
If python-twisted-* never existed for EL4, then pyicq-t should have
never made it into EL4 because of the dependency.

> If someone actually does want to build python-twisted-* for el4, I
> have
> some packages here that may be a good base:
>
> http://mirror.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/bittorrent/Twisted/RHEL-4/
>
> I don't want to do it myself though.

Me neither ;-) I'm not interested in EL4 just concerned about the broken
dependency mails I received so far.

Regards,
Stefan

Old 06-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Paul Howarth

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:57:26 +0200
Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus <stefan@seekline.net> wrote:

> On So, 2011-06-05 at 11:28 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 11:25:59 +0200
> > Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus <stefan@seekline.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > what happened to the python twisted framework in EPEL 4? For
> > > quite a while I receive broken dependency mails for the package
> > > pyicq-t but only for the EL4 branch, where I'm even not a
> > > maintainer of. Since I'm not using EL4 I'm not really up to date,
> > > but if I remember right the framework was available at least a
> > > year ago. Was it silently removed? If so, what should happen to
> > > packages which depend on it?
> >
> > There isn't even a git branch for python-twisted-core for el4 so
> > I'd be surprised if it ever existed there.
>
> Your right but then I don't know why I received broken dependency
> mails for the last couple of weeks/months but not, lets say, a year
> ago. The package pyicq-t for EL4 has not changed since 2009 but I
> receive the broken dependency mails only since a couple of
> weeks/months and not since 2009.

That's probably because broken dependency mails were only generated
intermittently up until the last few months.

> This is something which confuses me:
> If python-twisted-* never existed for EL4, then pyicq-t should have
> never made it into EL4 because of the dependency.

True, but there's no process enforcing this other than the maintainers
checking that their packages are installable; I don't think there's an
AutoQA process for EPEL as yet.

Paul.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:57:26 +0200
Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus <stefan@seekline.net> wrote:

> Your right but then I don't know why I received broken dependency
> mails for the last couple of weeks/months but not, lets say, a year
> ago. The package pyicq-t for EL4 has not changed since 2009 but I
> receive the broken dependency mails only since a couple of
> weeks/months and not since 2009. This is something which confuses me:
> If python-twisted-* never existed for EL4, then pyicq-t should have
> never made it into EL4 because of the dependency.

Sadly, there's nothing stopping it currently... the automated broken
deps reports only got setup a month or so ago. I'm sure it had the
broken dep the entire time, just no one noticed. ;(

If you want to retire it, please follow the end of life process and
file a rel-eng ticket to remove it from the repos. ;(

kevin