Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   EPEL Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/epel-development/)
-   -   Newer flex in EPEL? (http://www.linux-archive.org/epel-development/527052-newer-flex-epel.html)

Gianluca Sforna 05-16-2011 08:36 PM

Newer flex in EPEL?
 
Hi, I am trying to build a package for EPEL 5 but failing because it
needs a newer flex than it's available on base system.

Unfortunately, it seems RH will not update the package[1] because it's
not 100% compatible with the current one, which is also probably the
reason why in Fedora we have both flex (at 2.5.35) and compat-flex (at
2.5.4a).

How do you feel about adding the newer flex package in epel?

Cheers

G.

[1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=554210

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://identi.ca/giallu - http://twitter.com/giallu

_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list

Stephen John Smoogen 05-16-2011 09:46 PM

Newer flex in EPEL?
 
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 14:36, Gianluca Sforna <giallu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to build a package for EPEL 5 but failing because it
> needs a newer flex than it's available on base system.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems RH will not update the package[1] because it's
> not 100% compatible with the current one, which is also probably the
> reason why in Fedora we have both flex (at 2.5.35) and compat-flex (at
> 2.5.4a).
>
> How do you feel about adding the newer flex package in epel?

It would require someone to package it up as non-conflicting and
non-replacing. If that can be done then I don't think it would cause a
problem.

> Cheers
>
> G.
>
> [1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=554210
>
> --
> Gianluca Sforna
>
> http://morefedora.blogspot.com
> http://identi.ca/giallu - http://twitter.com/giallu
>
> _______________________________________________
> epel-devel-list mailing list
> epel-devel-list@redhat.com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
>



--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidance."
Randy Nelson, President of Pixar University.
"Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list

Kevin Fenzi 05-16-2011 09:55 PM

Newer flex in EPEL?
 
On Mon, 16 May 2011 22:36:13 +0200
Gianluca Sforna <giallu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to build a package for EPEL 5 but failing because it
> needs a newer flex than it's available on base system.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems RH will not update the package[1] because it's
> not 100% compatible with the current one, which is also probably the
> reason why in Fedora we have both flex (at 2.5.35) and compat-flex (at
> 2.5.4a).
>
> How do you feel about adding the newer flex package in epel?

Sure, as long as it's parallel installable with the rhel version and
doesn't conflict in any way. ;)

kevin
_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list

Gianluca Sforna 05-17-2011 09:02 AM

Newer flex in EPEL?
 
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It would require someone to package it up as non-conflicting and
> non-replacing. If that can be done then I don't think it would cause a
> problem.
>

I just checked and the two packages in Fedora repos work exactly this
way; we just need to use the compat-flex spec as a template for
building the flex 2.5.35 package. I wonder how about naming this new
package: flex2, flex35, flex2535 or?

If we agree on the naming I can wrap it up and submit for review. I
guess contacting the current flex maintainers is also a good idea.

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://identi.ca/giallu - http://twitter.com/giallu

_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.