Old 04-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Jonathan Underwood

Default 389 directory server stack for EPEL 6

Hi,

I understand that the 389 directory server stack for EPEL6 hasn't been
pushed due to the anticipation that 389 will be included in RHEL 6.1.
However, i wonder if it would be possible to push the 389 stack to
EPEL6 with an EVR such that when 6.1 is released the packages are
upgraded from EPEL to the RHEL packages? The reason I ask is that
it'll be a while before 6.1 releases of centos and scientific linux
are released (given that rhel 6.1 is currently not released but in
beta), and it would be nice to have a working 389 stack.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 08:40:05 +0100
Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I understand that the 389 directory server stack for EPEL6 hasn't been
> pushed due to the anticipation that 389 will be included in RHEL 6.1.
> However, i wonder if it would be possible to push the 389 stack to
> EPEL6 with an EVR such that when 6.1 is released the packages are
> upgraded from EPEL to the RHEL packages? The reason I ask is that
> it'll be a while before 6.1 releases of centos and scientific linux
> are released (given that rhel 6.1 is currently not released but in
> beta), and it would be nice to have a working 389 stack.

Well, I suppose, but that sure does sound like a lot of work.

Since they don't conflict now, they could be added, but when 6.1 or
whatever comes out with them in it, we would need to mark them all
dead.package, block them, etc.

kevin

Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Jan-Frode Myklebust

On 2011-04-21, Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood@gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand that the 389 directory server stack for EPEL6 hasn't been
> pushed due to the anticipation that 389 will be included in RHEL 6.1.

Please not that it's not the full stack. Only the 389-ds-base and
389-ds-base-libs are included in RHEL 6.1 (beta). No 389-admin,
389-admin-console, 389-adminutil, 389-console or 389-dsgw. It would
be nice if EPEL6 could provide these and complete the stack.

-jf

Old 04-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Rich Megginson

I understand that the 389 directory server stack for EPEL6 hasn't been
pushed due to the anticipation that 389 will be included in RHEL 6.1.
However, i wonder if it would be possible to push the 389 stack to
EPEL6 with an EVR such that when 6.1 is released the packages are
upgraded from EPEL to the RHEL packages? The reason I ask is that
it'll be a while before 6.1 releases of centos and scientific linux
are released (given that rhel 6.1 is currently not released but in
beta), and it would be nice to have a working 389 stack.

Well, I suppose, but that sure does sound like a lot of work.

Since they don't conflict now, they could be added, but when 6.1 or
whatever comes out with them in it, we would need to mark them all
dead.package, block them, etc.

I'm the 389 maintainer.* I don't mind doing the work to create some
packages for EL6, but I don't want that work to be thrown away as
soon as RHEL 6.1 is released.* I'd rather come up with some long
term solution that will work on EL6, EL7, etc.

Any suggestions?* Note that certain solutions may be non-starters if
the change to the package name or layout is too radical - changes
that would make the docs obsolete or require massive changes, or
make dependent packages such as freeipa or dogtag fail.

kevin

Old 04-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 07:22:27 -0600
Rich Megginson <rmeggins@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/22/2011 01:04 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 08:40:05 +0100
> > Jonathan Underwood<jonathan.underwood@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I understand that the 389 directory server stack for EPEL6 hasn't
> >> been pushed due to the anticipation that 389 will be included in
> >> RHEL 6.1. However, i wonder if it would be possible to push the
> >> 389 stack to EPEL6 with an EVR such that when 6.1 is released the
> >> packages are upgraded from EPEL to the RHEL packages? The reason I
> >> ask is that it'll be a while before 6.1 releases of centos and
> >> scientific linux are released (given that rhel 6.1 is currently
> >> not released but in beta), and it would be nice to have a working
> >> 389 stack.
> > Well, I suppose, but that sure does sound like a lot of work.
> >
> > Since they don't conflict now, they could be added, but when 6.1 or
> > whatever comes out with them in it, we would need to mark them all
> > dead.package, block them, etc.

> I'm the 389 maintainer. I don't mind doing the work to create some
> packages for EL6, but I don't want that work to be thrown away as
> soon as RHEL 6.1 is released. I'd rather come up with some long term
> solution that will work on EL6, EL7, etc.
> Any suggestions? Note that certain solutions may be non-starters if
> the change to the package name or layout is too radical - changes
> that would make the docs obsolete or require massive changes, or make
> dependent packages such as freeipa or dogtag fail.

Yeah, I think I understand what you are looking for, but I'm not sure
EPEL is a good match.

Perhaps something like http://repos.fedorapeople.org/ ?

You want something like a 'preview' or early adopters repo so folks can
get and test early before there are official packages right?

kevin

Old 04-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Rich Megginson

[...]

Right.

The other problem is that 389-ds-base can't build on EL6 yet -
389-ds-base now uses openldap - mozldap has been dropped from RHEL6 -
openldap in RHEL 6.0 does not use NSS for crypto, nor does it provide an
LDIF API (as does openldap in Fedora 14 and later, and RHEL 6.1 and later).

I'll look into