-   -   clamav-db vs. clamav-filesystem (http://www.linux-archive.org/epel-development/514870-clamav-db-vs-clamav-filesystem.html)

Anssi Johansson 04-16-2011 07:33 AM

clamav-db vs. clamav-filesystem

Hi, I've been using ClamAV with the following packages installed:

clamav-0.95.1-1.el5
clamav-lib-0.95.1-1.el5
clamav-lib-0.95.1-1.el5
clamav-server-sysv-0.95.1-1.el5
clamav-filesystem-0.95.1-1.el5
clamav-update-0.95.1-1.el5
clamav-server-0.95.1-1.el5
clamav-data-empty-0.95.1-1.el5

Now when I run 'yum update' the following packages would be updated:

Installing:
clamav i386 0.97-12.el5 epel
11 M

replacing clamav-lib.i386 0.95.1-1.el5

clamav x86_64 0.97-12.el5 epel
11 M

replacing clamav-lib.x86_64 0.95.1-1.el5

clamav-db x86_64 0.97-12.el5 epel
26 M

replacing clamav-filesystem.x86_64 0.95.1-1.el5

clamd x86_64 0.97-12.el5 epel
177 k

replacing clamav-server-sysv.x86_64 0.95.1-1.el5

My concern is that the clamav-db package is forced down my throat. I do
not want to use clamav-db, because the virus database in it will always
be outdated. The clamav-data-empty package was very neat in this regard
as it satisfied clamav's requirements but didn't interfere with
downloading the virus database updates with freshclam.

What was the rationale for making clamav depend on clamav-db =
0.97-12.el5, instead of the previous dependency of data(clamav), which
was provided by both clamav-data-empty and clamav-data?

Jan-Frode Myklebust 04-16-2011 12:51 PM

On 2011-04-16, Anssi Johansson <clamav@miuku.net> wrote:

> My concern is that the clamav-db package is forced down my throat. I do
> not want to use clamav-db, because the virus database in it will always
> be outdated. The clamav-data-empty package was very neat in this regard
> as it satisfied clamav's requirements but didn't interfere with
> downloading the virus database updates with freshclam.
>
> What was the rationale for making clamav depend on clamav-db =
> 0.97-12.el5, instead of the previous dependency of data(clamav), which
> was provided by both clamav-data-empty and clamav-data?

The rationale was probably to clean up the mess with way too many
sub-packages in the old packaging. In the new clamav-db the
virus database is marked as %config(noreplace), so it will not
overwrite your updated virus-database. That should hopefully mean
that there's not much point in also providing a clamav-db-empty..

Agree ?

-jf