Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Jochen Schmitt

Default Request for OpenNebula

Am 07.03.11 17:38, schrieb Jaime Melis:
Hello,

I am part of the OpenNebula [1] team and we would like to
include OpenNebula in EPEL. OpenNebula is in the process of
becoming part of all major linux distributions. Our problem with
the EPEL has been that we need the package xmlrpc-c to build
OpenNebula and as far as I know xmlrpc-c is not available in
EPEL.

Therefore I have some questions:
- Is there anyone interested in becoming maintainer of
OpenNebula for EPEL?
- Is xmlrpc-c going to be included in EPEL 5?
- Is xmlrpc-c going to be included in EPEL 6?
- In case xmlrpc-c is going to be included in EPEL 6, is it
possible to start working on including OpenNebula for EPEL 6?

[1] http://opennebula.org

Regarding to the package database there are not EPEL branches of
this package. So it may be nice, if you can contact the maintainer
of this package (ensc@fedoraproject.org) to request the creation of
an EPEL-6 branch of this package.

Best Regards:

Jochen Schmitt

Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Steve Traylen

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Jaime Melis <j.melis@fdi.ucm.es> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am part of the OpenNebula [1] team and we would like to include OpenNebula
> in EPEL. OpenNebula is in the process of becoming part of all major linux
> distributions. Our problem with the EPEL has been that we need the package
> xmlrpc-c to build OpenNebula and as far as I know xmlrpc-c is not available
> in EPEL.
> Therefore I have some questions:
> - Is there anyone interested in becoming maintainer of OpenNebula for EPEL?

> - Is xmlrpc-c going to be included in EPEL 5?

xmlrpc-c is part of RHEL5.6 so there is nothing to do here.

> - Is xmlrpc-c going to be included in EPEL 6?
> - In case xmlrpc-c is going to be included in EPEL 6, is it possible to
> start working on including OpenNebula for EPEL 6?
> [1] http://opennebula.org
> Thanks
> Regards,
> Jaime
>
> --
> Jaime Melis, Cloud Technology Engineer/Researcher
> DSA Research Group: web http://dsa-research.org and blog
> http://blog.dsa-research.org
> OpenNebula Open Source Toolkit for Cloud Computing:
> http://www.OpenNebula.org

Steve Traylen

Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 09:38, Jaime Melis <j.melis@fdi.ucm.es> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am part of the OpenNebula [1] team and we would like to include OpenNebula
> in EPEL. OpenNebula is in the process of becoming part of all major linux
> distributions. Our problem with the EPEL has been that we need the package
> xmlrpc-c to build OpenNebula and as far as I know xmlrpc-c is not available
> in EPEL.
> Therefore I have some questions:
> - Is there anyone interested in becoming maintainer of OpenNebula for EPEL?

I think the reverse question is also true, are you available to be a
maintainer for Fedora or EPEL? For software like this, it is much
better if upstream is working on doing this as they can fix issues
there versus a long game of pass the bug.

> - Is xmlrpc-c going to be included in EPEL 5?
> - Is xmlrpc-c going to be included in EPEL 6?

programs are included in EPEL when a maintainer wants to maintain it.
We try to stay away from including software that we then have no one
interested in fixing later.

> - In case xmlrpc-c is going to be included in EPEL 6, is it possible to
> start working on including OpenNebula for EPEL 6?
> [1] http://opennebula.org
> Thanks
> Regards,
> Jaime
>
> --
> Jaime Melis, Cloud Technology Engineer/Researcher
> DSA Research Group: web http://dsa-research.org and blog
> http://blog.dsa-research.org
> OpenNebula Open Source Toolkit for Cloud Computing:
> http://www.OpenNebula.org

Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 03-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Jaime Melis

Hello,
thank you all for your quick feedback.

I think the reverse question is also true, are you available to be a
maintainer for Fedora or EPEL? For software like this, it is much
better if upstream is working on doing this as they can fix issues
there versus a long game of pass the bug.

Yes, absolutely. For example we work very tightly with the maintainer of the Debian and Ubuntu packages (Damien Raude-Morvan). When he reports a bug or a patch to improve the code we generally apply it upstream for the next release, and we also provide testing. We intend to do the same with EPEL.�However, we would like the support of an EPEL maintainer, since it takes time to learn procedures and to learn how to write *good* spec files.

Changing subject:
I've been trying to compile OpenNebula from source in RHEL 6 with EPEL 6 enabled, but I haven't been able to do it, the problem, as always, is xmlrpc-c.

To compile it we need the xmlrpc-c-devel package, which provides the '.h' files necessary for compilation. Or, we can rebuild the xmlrpc-c package from the 'src.rpm' �but I haven't been able to find it. Why isn't it provided in EPEL?

I believe the problem here is that I don't fully understand the workflow. What I can't understand is how are other packages using the xmlrpc-c package? since it only provides the dynamic libraries, they can't be used unless the package has been compiled with the '.h' files, but those files aren't provided with other epel packages so they can't be listed as build dependencies.

Regards,Jaime
On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 09:38, Jaime Melis <j.melis@fdi.ucm.es> wrote:

> Hello,

> I am part of the OpenNebula [1] team and we would like to include OpenNebula

> in EPEL. OpenNebula is in the process of becoming part of all major linux

> distributions. Our problem with the EPEL has been that we need the package

> xmlrpc-c to build OpenNebula and as far as I know xmlrpc-c is not available

> in EPEL.

> Therefore I have some questions:

> - Is there anyone interested in becoming maintainer of OpenNebula for EPEL?

I think the reverse question is also true, are you available to be a

maintainer for Fedora or EPEL? For software like this, it is much

better if upstream is working on doing this as they can fix issues

there versus a long game of pass the bug.

> - Is xmlrpc-c going to be included in EPEL 5?

> - Is xmlrpc-c going to be included in EPEL 6?

programs are included in EPEL when a maintainer wants to maintain it.

We try to stay away from including software that we then have no one

interested in fixing later.

> - In case xmlrpc-c is going to be included in EPEL 6, is it possible to

> start working on including OpenNebula for EPEL 6?

> [1] http://opennebula.org

> Thanks

> Regards,

> Jaime

> --

> Jaime Melis, Cloud Technology Engineer/Researcher

> DSA Research Group: web http://dsa-research.org and blog

> http://blog.dsa-research.org

> OpenNebula Open Source Toolkit for Cloud Computing:

> http://www.OpenNebula.org

Stephen J Smoogen.

battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Steve Traylen

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Jaime Melis <j.melis@fdi.ucm.es> wrote:
> Hello,
> thank you all for your quick feedback.
>>
>> I think the reverse question is also true, are you available to be a
>> maintainer for Fedora or EPEL? For software like this, it is much
>> better if upstream is working on doing this as they can fix issues
>> there versus a long game of pass the bug.
>
> Yes, absolutely. For example we work very tightly with the maintainer of the
> Debian and Ubuntu packages (Damien Raude-Morvan). When he reports a bug or a
> patch to improve the code we generally apply it upstream for the next
> release, and we also provide testing. We intend to do the same with
> EPEL.*However, we would like the support of an EPEL maintainer, since it
> takes time to learn procedures and to learn how to write *good* spec files.
> Changing subject:
> I've been trying to compile OpenNebula from source in RHEL 6 with EPEL 6
> enabled, but I haven't been able to do it, the problem, as always, is
> xmlrpc-c.
> To compile it we need the xmlrpc-c-devel package, which provides the '.h'
> files necessary for compilation. Or, we can rebuild the xmlrpc-c package
> from the 'src.rpm' *but I haven't been able to find it. Why isn't it
> provided in EPEL?
> I believe the problem here is that I don't fully understand the workflow.
> What I can't understand is how are other packages using the xmlrpc-c
> package? since it only provides the dynamic libraries, they can't be used
> unless the package has been compiled with the '.h' files, but those files
> aren't provided with other epel packages so they can't be listed as build
> dependencies.

I can't check for lack of access to RHEL6 but enable the "optional" repos
that are configured in your yum configuration.

Steve.

Steve Traylen

Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Iain Arnell

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Steve Traylen <steve.traylen@cern.ch> wrote:

> I can't check for lack of access to RHEL6 but enable the "optional" repos
> that are configured in your yum configuration.

Yes, xmlrpc-c-devel is in the RHEL6 "optional" repo. But it needs to
be enabled in rhn, not local yum configuration.

--
Iain.