Old 02-07-2011, 01:51 AM
Stephen John Smoogen

Default amavisd-new for EPEL6?

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 17:31, Christopher Stolzenberg
<xchris89x@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am surprised that there is currently no amavisd-new package for EPEL6.
> Is it planned to publish amavisd-new for EPEL6?

Only if a developer/maintainer steps up to do so.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 03-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Jan-Frode Myklebust

On 2011-02-07, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 17:31, Christopher Stolzenberg
><xchris89x@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am surprised that there is currently no amavisd-new package for EPEL6.
>> Is it planned to publish amavisd-new for EPEL6?
>>

> Only if a developer/maintainer steps up to do so.

I can probably step up -- if someone could please guide me trough
the process of becoming an EPEL maintainer.

-jf

Old 03-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Jon Stanley

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 7:47 AM, Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode@tanso.net> wrote:

> I can probably step up -- if someone could please guide me trough
> the process of becoming an EPEL maintainer.

Are you a Fedora package maintainer? If so, you need to just request
branches through the normal SCM admin procedure. If not, then you need
to be sponsored into the packager group, see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers
for details.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Jan-Frode Myklebust

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 08:13:29AM -0500, Jon Stanley wrote:

> Are you a Fedora package maintainer? If so, you need to just request
> branches through the normal SCM admin procedure.

I'm not.

> If not, then you need
> to be sponsored into the packager group, see
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers
> for details.

Seeing as amavisd-new is available in F14:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Everything/source/SRPMS/amavisd-new-2.6.4-1.fc12.src.rpm

and the missing dependencies for it is available from EPEL5:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/SRPMS/perl-Convert-TNEF-0.17-7.el5.src.rpm
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/SRPMS/cabextract-1.3-1.el5.src.rpm
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/SRPMS/altermime-0.3.7-2.el5.src.rpm

and everything passes a trivial build and start test on RHEL6 -- so
should I take over maintainership of these all, and submit them
following the Join_the_package_collection_maintainers routine ?

-jf

Old 03-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:42:33 +0100
Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode@tanso.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 08:13:29AM -0500, Jon Stanley wrote:
> >
> > Are you a Fedora package maintainer? If so, you need to just request
> > branches through the normal SCM admin procedure.
>
> I'm not.
>
> > If not, then you need
> > to be sponsored into the packager group, see
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers
> > for details.
>
> Seeing as amavisd-new is available in F14:
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Everything/source/SRPMS/amavisd-new-2.6.4-1.fc12.src.rpm
>
> and the missing dependencies for it is available from EPEL5:
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/SRPMS/perl-Convert-TNEF-0.17-7.el5.src.rpm
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/SRPMS/cabextract-1.3-1.el5.src.rpm
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/SRPMS/altermime-0.3.7-2.el5.src.rpm
>
> and everything passes a trivial build and start test on RHEL6 -- so
> should I take over maintainership of these all, and submit them
> following the Join_the_package_collection_maintainers routine ?

Well, there's (at least) one additional monkey wrench in this:

recently we revamped clamav in EPEL.
We need to fix up amavisd-new to handle the new clamav.

So, if you could modify the package for the new clamav that would be
outstanding.

Additionally, if we can get one of the amavisd-new maintainers to offer
to mentor you, we can sponsor you that way. See:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_get_sponsored_into_the_packager_group#Becom e_a_comaintainer

Hope that helps.

kevin

Old 03-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Jan-Frode Myklebust

On 2011-03-05, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
>> and everything passes a trivial build and start test on RHEL6 -- so=20
>> should I take over maintainership of these all, and submit them=20
>> following the Join_the_package_collection_maintainers routine ?
>
> Well, there's (at least) one additional monkey wrench in this:
>
> recently we revamped clamav in EPEL.
> We need to fix up amavisd-new to handle the new clamav.
>
> So, if you could modify the package for the new clamav that would be
> outstanding.

I just tested upgrading to this clamav from epel-6-testing, and can't
see any immediate problems. Any hints to what you expect there to be
of problems here ?

# rpm -qa|egrep 'amavis|clam'
amavisd-new-snmp-2.6.4-1.oc3.noarch
clamav-db-0.97-3.el6.x86_64
amavisd-new-2.6.4-1.oc3.noarch
clamav-0.97-3.el6.x86_64
clamd-0.97-3.el6.x86_64

and amavisd finds both the primary and secondary scanners on startup:

Mar 5 12:33:14 asav amavis[14306]: Using primary internal av scanner code for ClamAV-clamd
Mar 5 12:33:14 asav amavis[14306]: Found secondary av scanner ClamAV-clamscan at /usr/bin/clamscan

Haven't tested any scanning yet, because this RHEL6 based mailserver
isn't complete yet..

> Additionally, if we can get one of the amavisd-new maintainers to offer
> to mentor you, we can sponsor you that way. See:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_get_sponsored_into_the_packager_group#=
> Become_a_comaintainer

I'll look into it, thanks!

-jf