Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Default EPEL6 moving from Beta to release status soon.

Greetings.

Just a heads up that EPEL will soon be moving it's EPEL6 branch from
the Beta mode (like rawhide) that it's been in to a release mode (like
EPEL4/5 are). (I have cc'ed Fedora's devel-announce here as there may
be people not on the epel-devel list that might find this of interest).

Timeline:

2011-01-13 - Have any builds you wish done before release done. After
this point you will need to request a package be tagged into the stable
or testing repos or wait until bodhi is up for EPEL6.

2011-01-14 - EPEL rel-eng will work on composing and moving things
around. This may include untagging packages that have broken deps, or
moving them into testing, test composing, etc. Hopefully we can mirror
out trees.

2011-01-15
2011-01-16 - Maintainers encouraged to check new trees and help with
wiki prep, etc.

2011-01-17 - Bodhi will be enabled for EPEL6 and things will move to a
release mode: All packages spend 2 weeks in testing or +3 karma, bodhi
is used for updates, buildroot overrides are required as usual.

2011-01-18 - RELEASE DAY. Help with press release or announcements
would be welcome.

Work/help needed:

- Would be great if someone could make us a press release and had a
way to distribute it out.
- We need work on our wiki pages. A EPEL6 FAQ would be very nice.
- Maintainers need to determine what packages they want to ship for
EPEL6. If you do not want to ship whats there now, please untag it
before thursday.

Feel free to drop by #epel on freenode or drop an email to the

Thanks for all the work folks, and enjoy EPEL6!

kevin

Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Ville Skyttä

On Tuesday 11 January 2011, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> Just a heads up that EPEL will soon be moving it's EPEL6 branch from
> the Beta mode (like rawhide) that it's been in to a release mode (like
> EPEL4/5 are).

Has the "openjdk not available on ppc64" issue been resolved yet? If yes,
what should packagers do about it (I saw some discussion but don't remember
seeing a definite resolution)? If not, don't you think getting this resolved
one way or the other would qualify as a release blocker?

I'd like to get new javasqlite to EPEL6 but have been waiting for "official"
instructions how to handle missing java >= 1.6.0 on ppc64, and I suspect
others may have stuff queued for this reason as well.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 00:08:39 +0200
Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Tuesday 11 January 2011, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > Just a heads up that EPEL will soon be moving it's EPEL6 branch from
> > the Beta mode (like rawhide) that it's been in to a release mode
> > (like EPEL4/5 are).
>
> Has the "openjdk not available on ppc64" issue been resolved yet? If
> yes, what should packagers do about it (I saw some discussion but
> don't remember seeing a definite resolution)? If not, don't you
> think getting this resolved one way or the other would qualify as a
> release blocker?
>
> I'd like to get new javasqlite to EPEL6 but have been waiting for
> "official" instructions how to handle missing java >= 1.6.0 on ppc64,
> and I suspect others may have stuff queued for this reason as well.

Yeah, understandable.

My thoughts on this is that we can do:

a) ExcludeArch: ppc64 in epel6 packages. Just not ship them for ppc64.

b) If some kind soul or souls step up to maintain java-1.6.0-openjdk in
EPEL and build on ppc64 too, thats fine. It's going to be a lot of
work, and they should make sure to make it so it's _OLDER_ than the
RHEL6 version. Does anyone want to step up to do this?

Note that java is very different on ppc... it's not going to be just a
'rebuild it for ppc64'. Its likely going to take some coding.

I think we should just go with a unless someone really is willing to
work on b.

kevin

Old 01-12-2011, 10:54 AM
David Timms

On 12/01/11 09:16, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> I think we should just go with a unless someone really is willing to
> work on b.
Well, I had a little attempt, just on x86_64, and was unable to get the
existing build to rebuild. With what Kevin said (and lack of ppc64 and
coding expertise), I think the exclude is going to be the most effective
process.

I'll look back shortly, and if no one has better suggestion, I'll add
the exclude ppc64 as Kevin suggested, so that my package can build.