Old 12-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Jussi Lehtola

Default Java not available on epel6 ppc64

Hi,

I've been getting broken dependency warnings for some time now:

vecmath has broken dependencies in the epel-6 tree:
On ppc64:
vecmath-0-2.20090922cvs.el6.noarch requires java >= 1:1.6.0
Please resolve this as soon as possible.

Is java really not available on rhel6 ppc64?
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor

Old 12-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 20:46:25 +0200
Jussi Lehtola <jussilehtola@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I've been getting broken dependency warnings for some time now:
>
> vecmath has broken dependencies in the epel-6 tree:
> On ppc64:
> vecmath-0-2.20090922cvs.el6.noarch requires java >= 1:1.6.0
> Please resolve this as soon as possible.
>
> Is java really not available on rhel6 ppc64?

It's not.

The question is: should we just excludearch it in EPEL packages, or
should we find someone willing and able to maintain it in EPEL and
build the exact same version as RHEL ships for ppc64.

Input welcome.

kevin

Old 12-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Mark Chappell

On 19 December 2010 19:59, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 20:46:25 +0200
> Jussi Lehtola <jussilehtola@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Is java really not available on rhel6 ppc64?
>
> The question is: should we just excludearch it in EPEL packages, or
> should we find someone willing and able to maintain it in EPEL and
> build the exact same version as RHEL ships for ppc64.

I think it would be wonderful if we could provide it but will say 1
thing: Beware, bootstrapping Java is a non-trivial process. Last
time I tried it had circular dependencies which had to be manually
broken by tweaking the spec files, and it's not a small dependency
chain...

Mark