Old 12-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Ray Van Dolson

Default RFC: EOL of mediawiki from EL-4, EL-5, EL-6

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 02:22:15PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 14:00, Orion Poplawski <orion@cora.nwra.com> wrote:
> > On 11/30/2010 05:05 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> >>
> >> The package was accepted and the mediawiki114 packages went into
> >> testing a while ago.
> >
> > Really? for EL-5?
>
> I must have screwed something up. I thought I built them for 4->6

Still not seeing these in epel-testing (EL-5). Stephen, is this the
latest build we can test off of?

Ray

Old 12-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:22:15 -0700
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 14:00, Orion Poplawski <orion@cora.nwra.com>
> wrote:
> > On 11/30/2010 05:05 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> >>
> >> The package was accepted and the mediawiki114 packages went into
> >> testing a while ago.
> >
> > Really? for EL-5?
>
> I must have screwed something up. I thought I built them for 4->6

For 4 and 5 you will need to make updates for them.

'fedpkg update' in the git dir set to whatever branch.
Or
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/new/

in the web interface.

kevin

Old 12-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 12:11, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:22:15 -0700
> Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 14:00, Orion Poplawski <orion@cora.nwra.com>
>> wrote:

>> > Really? for EL-5?
>>
>> I must have screwed something up. I thought I built them for 4->6
>
> For 4 and 5 you will need to make updates for them.
>
> 'fedpkg update' in the git dir set to whatever branch.
> Or
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/new/

Thanks this was the step I was missing.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 12-14-2010, 04:38 AM
Ray Van Dolson

FYI, just tested moving from the base mediawiki package to
mediawiki116. Upgrade process was as follows (in a nutshell):

Mediawiki install at /srv/syswiki/wiki/

1. Back up
2. mv /srv/syswiki /root/syswiki
3. Followed instructions in README.RPM to create a new wiki site
(under /srv). Script to create symlinks worked great save for
StartProfiler.php which didn't exist (it was StartProfiler.sample)
4. Copied my original LocalSettings.php back and modified "$IP"
variable.
5. Reviewed RELEASE-NOTES for 1.15 and 1.16 for necessary config
changes.
6. Changed to "maintenance" directory (now
/srv/syswiki/wiki/maintenance) and ran the following:

MW_INSTALL_PATH=/srv/syswiki/wiki php update

7. Corrected issue with Ldap extension.
8. Fixed my Apache config which was aliasing the "skins" directory to
/usr/share/mediawiki/skins

All is working great! Pretty easy.

I notice a few RPM-packaged extensions are tied to the original
mediawiki package -- mediawiki-ParserFunctions for example.

Maybe /usr/share/mediawiki would be a good "generic" directory for
non-version specific extension? Or should we get them repackaged per
version?

For now I'll just install from source most likely.

Ray

Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 22:38, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd@bludgeon.org> wrote:

> I notice a few RPM-packaged extensions are tied to the original
> mediawiki package -- mediawiki-ParserFunctions for example.
>
> Maybe /usr/share/mediawiki would be a good "generic" directory for
> non-version specific extension? *Or should we get them repackaged per
> version?
>
> For now I'll just install from source most likely.

This was going to be my next thing to deal with. Some of the mediawiki
extensions work with the latest and others do not. I am not sure of
which . I guess I need to ask the packaging committee on what best
practice would be

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 12-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Ray Van Dolson

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 06:02:03PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 22:38, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd@bludgeon.org> wrote:
>
> > I notice a few RPM-packaged extensions are tied to the original
> > mediawiki package -- mediawiki-ParserFunctions for example.
> >
> > Maybe /usr/share/mediawiki would be a good "generic" directory for
> > non-version specific extension? *Or should we get them repackaged per
> > version?
> >
> > For now I'll just install from source most likely.
>
> This was going to be my next thing to deal with. Some of the mediawiki
> extensions work with the latest and others do not. I am not sure of
> which . I guess I need to ask the packaging committee on what best
> practice would be

I kind of like the idea of a generic mediawiki extensions directory and
configuring the package to "require" whichever version of MediaWiki it
supports (this requirement could be satisfied by multiple versions).

The package then would either populate the version-specific mediawiki
install's extensions directory with symlinks to the extension or some
other clever trick to ensure it gets made available to the right
versions automatically.

Maybe overengineered? Seems better than packaging extensions 3+
different times for each mediawiki package...

Ray