Old 11-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

Default RFC: EOL of mediawiki from EL-4, EL-5, EL-6

I plan to EOL mediawiki for the EPEL releases for EL-4,5,6 due to
packaging newer ones using mediawiki114,mediawiki115, mediawiki116.

There are several ways I can do this:

1) change mediawiki114 to replace mediawiki. Pros would allow people
to keep a package on their system. COns most likely will break due to
linking and changes in package.

2) put out a final mediawiki package with a "Please dont use." in
README and %description.

3) just remove from system.

I need input and help on getting this done.

Thankyou.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 11-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 01:53:32PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> I plan to EOL mediawiki for the EPEL releases for EL-4,5,6 due to
> packaging newer ones using mediawiki114,mediawiki115, mediawiki116.
>
> There are several ways I can do this:
>
> 1) change mediawiki114 to replace mediawiki. Pros would allow people
> to keep a package on their system. COns most likely will break due to
> linking and changes in package.
>
> 2) put out a final mediawiki package with a "Please dont use." in
> README and %description.
>
> 3) just remove from system.
>
> I need input and help on getting this done.
>
> Thankyou.

I like option #1. Are you tracking this in a bugzilla somewhere? I
would be happy to "help" insofar as testing this new package (the
upgrade side-effects mainly).

.. however, I think this provides the best opportunity for a "better"
upgrade path. We could document upgrade hurdles we find either on the
wiki or in a README.Fedora file (or both).

Ray