Old 10-13-2010, 03:09 AM
Orion Poplawski

Default cfengine v puppet

On 10/12/2010 5:40 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

Most of the people I know have had to rewrite. Cfengine2 and 3 use
completely different syntax and data models for what is going to
happen to the computer. To really get cfengine3 to work you have to
understand promises and how to execute them. The cfengine lists were
useful for helping some people, and Mark Burgess has created a company
to work out such things.
Hmm. I've been meaning to check out puppet for a while and I suppose
this is the time to do it. Any good comparisons of the
strengths/weakeness of puppet v cfengine3?

- Orion

Old 10-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Michael Stahnke

> Hmm. *I've been meaning to check out puppet for a while and I suppose this
> is the time to do it. *Any good comparisons of the strengths/weakeness of
> puppet v cfengine3?

There's a decent amount of material available, both from the
Puppetlabs and cfengine side.

http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Transitioning_From_Cfengine
is often a decent place to start.

In my experience, either one can be used to manage systems. They
approach the problem-set quite differently though. When forced
between moving from cfengine 2 to 3 or to puppet, my work chose
puppet, and hasn't regretted it. I could offer a lot more opinion and
information, but it may end up sounding too much like a commercial for
list discussion.

stahnma