Old 10-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Orion Poplawski

Default cfengine v2 -> v3

On 10/02/2010 05:29 PM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:

In the case of cfengine, v2 vs. v3: v2 is no longer supported at all
from upstream. However, I'm pretty sure that v2 clients will work
fine with a v3 server (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
Because v2 is no longer supported upstream I'm hard pressed to find a
reason to support it in EPEL6 onwards.

-Jeff

I just ran into cfengine3 in rawhide, and it certainly is very different
than v2. While it may communicate with a v2 server (no idea yet), I
certainly need to develop a new set of configuration files.

/usr/bin/cfagent -> /usr/sbin/cf-agent

# cf-agent
Can't stat file "/var/cfengine/inputs/promises.cf" for parsing
!!! System error for stat: "No such file or directory"
cf-agent was not able to get confirmation of promises from cf-promises,
so going to failsafe

Can't stat file "/var/cfengine/inputs/failsafe.cf" for parsing
!!! System error for stat: "No such file or directory"

Any good docs for migrating?

--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222

Old 10-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 16:45, Orion Poplawski <orion@cora.nwra.com> wrote:
> On 10/02/2010 05:29 PM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>>
>> In the case of cfengine, v2 vs. v3: *v2 is no longer supported at all
>> from upstream. *However, I'm pretty sure that v2 clients will work
>> fine with a v3 server (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
>> Because v2 is no longer supported upstream I'm hard pressed to find a
>> reason to support it in EPEL6 onwards.
>

>> -Jeff
>
> I just ran into cfengine3 in rawhide, and it certainly is very different
> than v2. *While it may communicate with a v2 server (no idea yet), I
> certainly need to develop a new set of configuration files.
>
> /usr/bin/cfagent -> /usr/sbin/cf-agent
>
> # cf-agent
> Can't stat file "/var/cfengine/inputs/promises.cf" for parsing
> *!!! System error for stat: "No such file or directory"
> cf-agent was not able to get confirmation of promises from cf-promises, so
> going to failsafe
> Can't stat file "/var/cfengine/inputs/failsafe.cf" for parsing
> *!!! System error for stat: "No such file or directory"
>
> Any good docs for migrating?

Most of the people I know have had to rewrite. Cfengine2 and 3 use
completely different syntax and data models for what is going to
happen to the computer. To really get cfengine3 to work you have to
understand promises and how to execute them. The cfengine lists were
useful for helping some people, and Mark Burgess has created a company
to work out such things.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.