Old 10-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Mark Chappell

Default EPEL Meeting today... Proposed time and Agenda

It's a Monday again, so it's EPEL meeting day... Since 1930 UTC
worked so well the last couple of weeks I suggest we use it again.

So the following are items I'd like to see on the agenda, any one else
got something to add?

===
* Signing off on the new time
1930 GMT in #fedora-meeting seems to be working well, some of the
highest turnouts we've seen.

* Bugs Update
Any one got anything interesting to say on this this week?

* EL-6 Branching
There are a number of packages that didn't branch for EL-6 due to
inclusion in beta 1 that seem to have gone. Should we just branch
them? Or let people who need them branch them without waiting for a
existing EL maintainer who's not done anything branch them? (I've got
at least 1 package with broken deps as a result)

* Open Floor
===

Mark

Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Paul Howarth

It's a Monday again, so it's EPEL meeting day... Since 1930 UTC
worked so well the last couple of weeks I suggest we use it again.

So the following are items I'd like to see on the agenda, any one else
got something to add?

===
* Signing off on the new time
1930 GMT in #fedora-meeting seems to be working well, some of the
highest turnouts we've seen.

* Bugs Update
Any one got anything interesting to say on this this week?

* EL-6 Branching
There are a number of packages that didn't branch for EL-6 due to
inclusion in beta 1 that seem to have gone. Should we just branch
them? Or let people who need them branch them without waiting for a
existing EL maintainer who's not done anything branch them? (I've got
at least 1 package with broken deps as a result)

Similarly, what to do about packages that are in Workstation or
Workstation Optional packages but are needed to satisfy deps in EPEL6
packages.

I would like to see us clone these packages in EPEL6 *and* add a higher
than default cost to the EPEL repo so that users of Workstation continue
to get their packages from RHEL rather than EPEL.

Currently, policy seems to be to wait for for RHEL 6 GA and see if
there's an additional channel provided for Server users containing the
necessary Workstation packages, leaving the broken deps in the meantime.
I'd say that if that "productivity channel" appears then by all means
untag the cloned packages - but if it doesn't - what then? Will we be
unable to provide packages like bugzilla that need these dependencies?
Or will we then clone the packages after all?

At least let's have a plan for how to resolve these dependencies.

Paul.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Michael Stahnke

Another thing is as we prep for RHEL 6, we probably want to ensure
that most packages are running the latest possible version from
upstream. I know several packages were branched from F12, we may want
to see if we could make the version in F14 or rawhide work. 7 years is
a long time to work on a set of packages without major changes. One
of the best things we can do right now is make sure we start as
current as possible.

stahnma

Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Jeff Sheltren

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 5:34 AM, Michael Stahnke <mastahnke@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another thing is as we prep for RHEL 6, we probably want to ensure
> that most packages are running the latest possible version from
> upstream. *I know several packages were branched from F12, we may want
> to see if we could make the version in F14 or rawhide work. 7 years is
> a long time to work on a set of packages without major changes. *One
> of the best things we can do right now is make sure we start as
> current as possible.

+1 to this!

I'm traveling today so I won't be able to make the meeting.

-Jeff

Old 10-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Mark Chappell

On 4 October 2010 11:19, Paul Howarth <paul@city-fan.org> wrote:
> Similarly, what to do about packages that are in Workstation or Workstation
> Optional packages but are needed to satisfy deps in EPEL6 packages.

The consensus at the meeting was that we should simply wait, and if
you're a paying customer it's worth raising an RFE through your reps
for the libs to be available in Server as well as Workstation.

Mark