Old 08-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Edward Trochim

Default Catalyst in EPEL 6

Hello all,

Are there plans to bring the perl Catalyst framework to EPEL 6? The runtime and many of the plugins are already in Fedora 12. I am interested in providing any help that is needed; however, I have never created any packages for either Fedora or EPEL.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 13:36, Edward Trochim <ejtrochim@alaska.edu> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Are there plans to bring the perl Catalyst framework to EPEL 6? The runtime
> and many of the plugins are already in Fedora 12. I am interested in
> providing any help that is needed; however, I have never created any
> packages for either Fedora or EPEL.

No one has expressed an interest before. I would say that the first
thing to look for is help in the Fedora Perl SIG

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Perl
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Catalyst

There you would get the best answers on who could help you on getting
this into EPEL.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 PM
"Joshua J. Kugler"

On Saturday 21 August 2010, Edward Trochim elucidated thus:
> Hello all,
>
> Are there plans to bring the perl Catalyst framework to EPEL 6? The
> runtime and many of the plugins are already in Fedora 12. I am
> interested in providing any help that is needed; however, I have
> never created any packages for either Fedora or EPEL.

Is there a preference to not simply install it from CPAN? That would be
my choice: the packages would stay much more up to date, vs. the EPEL
update cycle.

Just wondering.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/ *ID 0x73B13B6A

Old 08-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:20:59 -0800
"Joshua J. Kugler" <joshua@eeinternet.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 21 August 2010, Edward Trochim elucidated thus:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Are there plans to bring the perl Catalyst framework to EPEL 6? The
> > runtime and many of the plugins are already in Fedora 12. I am
> > interested in providing any help that is needed; however, I have
> > never created any packages for either Fedora or EPEL.
>
> Is there a preference to not simply install it from CPAN? That would
> be my choice: the packages would stay much more up to date, vs. the
> EPEL update cycle.
>
> Just wondering.

Personally, I find mixing CPAN installs and installs from rpm to be
very problematic. The issue is that sometimes CPAN will decide to
upgrade something you have installed via rpm (like say, perl itself)
and mess up all other packages installed from rpm. Also, on the other
side, rpm packaged modules may upgrade something you installed from
CPAN and cause breakage there.

So, my suggestion would be to stick with one and only one package
management system. In my case rpm/yum.

kevin

Old 08-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Edward Trochim

My organization handles all software deployments to our several dozen production systems through yum; whether it is in-house or third party software. It greatly eases update management for us.

We are seriously considering using Catalyst for a new webapp we will be developing soon and we want to be able to deploy it using the same mechanisms as all our other software. We could use CPAN, and we are prepared to go that route if we need to, but we would prefer to keep everything in RPMs. There are actually several deployment strategies I am investigating right now, this is just one of them.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Christopher McCrory

Hello...

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 11:46 -0800, Edward Trochim wrote:
> My organization handles all software deployments to our several dozen
> production systems through yum; whether it is in-house or third party
> software. It greatly eases update management for us.
>
> We are seriously considering using Catalyst for a new webapp we will be
> developing soon and we want to be able to deploy it using the same
> mechanisms as all our other software. We could use CPAN, and we are
> prepared to go that route if we need to, but we would prefer to keep
> everything in RPMs. There are actually several deployment strategies I
> am investigating right now, this is just one of them.

cpanspec ( also in EPEL ) is designed to generate rpm packages from CPAN
packages. In my previous job I generated many internal perl rpms and
cpanspec was by far the best tool of several I used. You shouldn't have
too much trouble doing it yourself.

<snip>

--
Christopher McCrory
To the optimist, the glass is half full.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Michael Stahnke

> cpanspec ( also in EPEL ) is designed to generate rpm packages from CPAN
> packages. *In my previous job I generated many internal perl rpms and
> cpanspec was by far the best tool of several I used. *You shouldn't have
> too much trouble doing it yourself.

If each shop is doing it themselves, that's a lot of wasted
productivity over the long haul. Ideally, this is done in EPEL which
will handle the default case (which is hopefully good enough for most
shops). After that shops may require adjustments to packages or
produce newer ones in year 3-7 of the RHEL lifecycle. I'd hope that
EPEL can at least be a decent starting point though.

Mike

Old 08-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Edward Trochim

On Aug 23, 2010, at 12:07 PM, Christopher McCrory wrote:

> Hello...
>
> cpanspec ( also in EPEL ) is designed to generate rpm packages from CPAN
> packages. In my previous job I generated many internal perl rpms and
> cpanspec was by far the best tool of several I used. You shouldn't have
> too much trouble doing it yourself.

I've used that tool before and I really like it. In this case however, I would probably just rebuild the SRPMs from Fedora due to the number and complexity of the dependencies. But before I did that I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to duplicate any work that was going to show up in EPEL. Also, having Catalyst in EPEL might be useful for other people.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Michael Stahnke <mastahnke@gmail.com> said:
> If each shop is doing it themselves, that's a lot of wasted
> productivity over the long haul. Ideally, this is done in EPEL which
> will handle the default case (which is hopefully good enough for most
> shops). After that shops may require adjustments to packages or
> produce newer ones in year 3-7 of the RHEL lifecycle. I'd hope that
> EPEL can at least be a decent starting point though.

I package up several things myself, mainly because I need it "now". I
have plans to push some of those packages to Fedora and EPEL (or just
EPEL, in the case of local rebuilds of Fedora packages), but I haven't
had enough round tuits to get that done.

I did separate my local RHEL repo into repos based on the source of the
package, like "fedora-add" for things I've rebuilt from Fedora,
"fedora-replace" for a few things where I needed a newer version than
RHEL/EPEL, "hiwaay-add" for my packages, etc. Ideally that will make it
easier for me to work with Fedora and EPEL to get my work into the
repos.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 08-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Iain Arnell

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 11:36 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 13:36, Edward Trochim <ejtrochim@alaska.edu> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Are there plans to bring the perl Catalyst framework to EPEL 6? The runtime
>> and many of the plugins are already in Fedora 12. I am interested in
>> providing any help that is needed; however, I have never created any
>> packages for either Fedora or EPEL.
>>

> No one has expressed an interest before. I would say that the first
> thing to look for is help in the Fedora Perl SIG

It certainly seems possible. I only find 40 missing deps for a minimal
installation. The biggest problem is that last time I checked, Chris
Weyl wasn't interested in EPEL.

berrange perl-Array-Diff
berrange perl-Module-CPANTS-Analyse *
cweyl perl-Catalyst-Action-RenderView
cweyl perl-Catalyst-Devel
cweyl perl-Catalyst-Plugin-ConfigLoader
cweyl perl-Catalyst-Plugin-Static-Simple
cweyl perl-Catalyst-Plugin-SubRequest
cweyl perl-Catalyst-Runtime
cweyl perl-Class-C3-Adopt-NEXT
cweyl perl-Config-Any
cweyl perl-Data-Alias
cweyl perl-Data-Dump *
cweyl perl-Data-Visitor
cweyl perl-File-ChangeNotify
cweyl perl-File-Modified
cweyl perl-HTTP-Request-AsCGI
cweyl perl-MooseX-Emulate-Class-Accessor-Fast
cweyl perl-MooseX-MethodAttributes
cweyl perl-MooseX-Params-Validate
cweyl perl-MooseX-SemiAffordanceAccessor
cweyl perl-namespace-autoclean
cweyl perl-String-RewritePrefix
cweyl perl-Test-use-ok
cweyl perl-Text-SimpleTable
cweyl perl-Tie-ToObject
cweyl perl-Tree-Simple-VisitorFactory
eseyman perl-Variable-Magic
iarnell perl-Devel-Hide
iarnell perl-Term-Size-Any
iarnell perl-Term-Size-Perl
iburrell perl-Path-Class *
lkundrak perl-Test-MockObject *
spot perl-UNIVERSAL-can *
spot perl-UNIVERSAL-isa *
steve perl-Devel-Caller *
till fcgi *
tremble perl-B-Hooks-EndOfScope *
tremble perl-MooseX-Types *
tremble perl-namespace-clean *
tremble perl-Test-Kwalitee *

(*) already exists in EPEL, but no builds for EL-6 yet.

--
Iain.