FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > EPEL Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-14-2010, 09:18 PM
seth vidal
 
Default policy clarification/thing with libtalloc and rhel5.5

I talked with Stephen for a while this afternoon about the
libtalloc/samba3x thing and my goal was to come up with a solution that
would:

1. break the fewest people
2. require no acts of god to get something to change quickly mid-stream
in rhel5

So the solution to rebuild the special version of libtalloc 1.X that
samba3x requires as a temporary measure until rhel5.6 is released seems
like the best one.

It has the following advantage:
- for people using samba3x AND having epel repos enabled - their
samba3x doesn't break
- it doesn't require any sort of magical powers to fix rhel for an
EXTREMELY commonly used repo in the middle of a release
- it means anyone who is already in the place where they have samba3x
installed and the libtalloc from epel they will be seamlessly upgraded
to a working version and not having things break when they DO start
using samba3x and they don't have to file a bug, have it closed as a
dupe and chase down the solution to nuke the newer one and issue an
update
- at no point in time does an EPOCH have to be involved.



seriously - this should just happen - I understand it goes against
various rules except it does follow the spirit of the rules which is:

1. don't break rhel
2. don't break using rhel and epel
3. don't break users who are just trying to get through their day

yay for not breaking users.

-sv


_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
 
Old 06-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Stephen John Smoogen
 
Default policy clarification/thing with libtalloc and rhel5.5

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 3:18 PM, seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I talked with Stephen for a while this afternoon about the
> libtalloc/samba3x thing and my goal was to come up with a solution that
> would:
>
> 1. break the fewest people
> 2. require no acts of god to get something to change quickly mid-stream
> in rhel5
>
> So the solution to rebuild the special version of libtalloc 1.X that
> samba3x requires as a temporary measure until rhel5.6 is released seems
> like the best one.

I do not see a problem. +1 from me.


> It has the following advantage:
> *- for people using samba3x AND having epel repos enabled - their
> samba3x doesn't break
> *- it doesn't require any sort of magical powers to fix rhel for an
> EXTREMELY commonly used repo in the middle of a release
> *- it means anyone who is already in the place where they have samba3x
> installed and the libtalloc from epel they will be seamlessly upgraded
> to a working version and not having things break when they DO start
> using samba3x and they don't have to file a bug, have it closed as a
> dupe and chase down the solution to nuke the newer one and issue an
> update
> - at no point in time does an EPOCH have to be involved.
>
>
>
> seriously - this should just happen - I understand it goes against
> various rules except it does follow the spirit of the rules which is:
>
> 1. don't break rhel
> 2. don't break using rhel and epel
> 3. don't break users who are just trying to get through their day
>
> yay for not breaking users.
>
> -sv
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> epel-devel-list mailing list
> epel-devel-list@redhat.com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
>



--
Stephen J Smoogen.
“The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidance.”
Randy Nelson, President of Pixar University.
"We have a strategic plan. It's called doing things.""
— Herb Kelleher, founder Southwest Airlines

_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
 
Old 06-15-2010, 04:57 AM
Adam Miller
 
Default policy clarification/thing with libtalloc and rhel5.5

+1 from me as well.


-AdamM (From Android)


On Jun 14, 2010 7:43 PM, "Stephen John Smoogen" <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:


On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 3:18 PM, seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I talked with Steph...
I do not see a problem. +1 from me.




> It has the following advantage:
> *- for people using samba3x AND having epel repos enabled - th...
--

Stephen J Smoogen.

“The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidance.”

Randy Nelson, President of Pixar University.

"We have a strategic plan. It's called doing things.""

— Herb Kelleher, founder Southwest Airlines



_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat...


_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
 
Old 06-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Toshio Kuratomi
 
Default policy clarification/thing with libtalloc and rhel5.5

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:57:59PM -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
> +1 from me as well.
>
> -AdamM (From Android)
>
> On Jun 14, 2010 7:43 PM, "Stephen John Smoogen" <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 3:18 PM, seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
> > I talked with Steph...
>
> I do not see a problem. +1 from me.
>
Okay, so explain why not build the libtalloc-1.x library from a separate srpm,
libtalloc1?

-Toshio
_______________________________________________
epel-devel-list mailing list
epel-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/epel-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:16 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org