Old 06-08-2010, 07:30 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Default Orphaned chntpw (NT password changer / registry editor) in EPEL

I was the maintainer of this package, but I have orphaned this package
in EPEL.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/chntpw

Because it has a non-responsive upstream and the code internally is
quite horrible, we wrote a clean, secure replacement library (called
'hivex'[1]), and so I am no longer interested in maintaining this
package.

Rich.

[1] http://libguestfs.org/hivex.3.html

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top

Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 08:30:36AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> I was the maintainer of this package, but I have orphaned this package
> in EPEL.

Should clarify: I was maintainer in EPEL only. Conrad is still
the maintainer in Fedora.

Rich.

virt-p2v converts physical machines to virtual machines. Boot with a
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v

Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Patrice Dumas

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 08:30:36AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> I was the maintainer of this package, but I have orphaned this package
> in EPEL.
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/chntpw
>
> Because it has a non-responsive upstream and the code internally is
> quite horrible, we wrote a clean, secure replacement library (called
> 'hivex'[1]), and so I am no longer interested in maintaining this
> package.

Is hivex compatible with chntpw (same command-line, assuming that
both are command-line applications)? If it is so, maybe it could
obsolete chntpw. I think it is important in EPEL to have all abandonned
packages to be obsoleted.

--
Pat

Old 06-08-2010, 05:21 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 11:49:25AM +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 08:30:36AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >
> > I was the maintainer of this package, but I have orphaned this package
> > in EPEL.
> >
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/chntpw
> >
> > Because it has a non-responsive upstream and the code internally is
> > quite horrible, we wrote a clean, secure replacement library (called
> > 'hivex'[1]), and so I am no longer interested in maintaining this
> > package.
>
> Is hivex compatible with chntpw (same command-line, assuming that
> both are command-line applications)? If it is so, maybe it could
> obsolete chntpw. I think it is important in EPEL to have all abandonned
> packages to be obsoleted.

No, they're not compatible. chntpw also does more -- we don't do
anything with editing NT passwords.

Rich.