Old 05-28-2010, 07:10 AM
Mathieu Baudier

Default wxGTK and wxPython not compatible anymore?

Hello,

since the latest update of wxGTK, I cannot start anymore an
application relying on both wxGTK and wxPython.

I am under the impression that wxPython needs to be rebuilt or updated.
(I checked epel-testing to see if it was not in the pipe)

More details:

- the application is a locally built and packaged GRASS GIS 6.4RC6
started with the -wx option

- on a non-updated CentOS 5.4 x86_64, the application is starting properly.
yum list shows that:
- the version of wxBase, wxGTK and wxGTK-gl is 2.8.9-2
- the version of wxPython is 2.8.7.1-2

- on an updated CentOS 5.5 x86_64, the application fails to start with
the following error message:

ERROR: wxGUI requires wxPython.
/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_misc_.so:
symbol _ZN7wxSound6CreateEiPKh, version WXU_2.8 not defined in file
libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.8.so.0 with link time reference

yum list shows that:
- the version of wxBase, wxGTK and wxGTK-gl is 2.8.11-1
- the version of wxPython is 2.8.7.1-2

Moreover wxPython has apparently not been updated since Feb 21st 2008,
which led me to think that it finally "lost touch" with the actively
maintained wx* packages.

Am I right in my analysis?
Is wxPython still maintained, and is an update planned in the near future?
Or should I rather package my own wxPython?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mathieu

Old 05-28-2010, 07:39 AM
Dan Horák

Mathieu Baudier p*še v Pá 28. 05. 2010 v 09:10 +0200:
> Hello,
>
> since the latest update of wxGTK, I cannot start anymore an
> application relying on both wxGTK and wxPython.
>
> I am under the impression that wxPython needs to be rebuilt or updated.
> (I checked epel-testing to see if it was not in the pipe)
>
> More details:
>
> - the application is a locally built and packaged GRASS GIS 6.4RC6
> started with the -wx option
>
> - on a non-updated CentOS 5.4 x86_64, the application is starting properly.
> yum list shows that:
> - the version of wxBase, wxGTK and wxGTK-gl is 2.8.9-2
> - the version of wxPython is 2.8.7.1-2
>
> - on an updated CentOS 5.5 x86_64, the application fails to start with
> the following error message:
>
> ERROR: wxGUI requires wxPython.
> /usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_misc_.so:
> symbol _ZN7wxSound6CreateEiPKh, version WXU_2.8 not defined in file
> libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.8.so.0 with link time reference
>
> yum list shows that:
> - the version of wxBase, wxGTK and wxGTK-gl is 2.8.11-1
> - the version of wxPython is 2.8.7.1-2
>
> Moreover wxPython has apparently not been updated since Feb 21st 2008,
> which led me to think that it finally "lost touch" with the actively
> maintained wx* packages.
>
> Am I right in my analysis?
> Is wxPython still maintained, and is an update planned in the near future?
> Or should I rather package my own wxPython?

wxPython will be updated to 2.8.11.0 in both EPEL and Fedora in few days
after solving some minor issues

Dan

Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Mathieu Baudier