Old 05-22-2010, 02:40 AM
"Neil Aggarwal"

Default virt-top not showing disk and network usage

Hello:

I installed virt-top from epel onto my host running KVM
on CentOS. It was originally intalled with 5.4 and then
I did a yum update when 5.5 came out.

According to yum, I have these versions of the packages:
libvirt.x86_64 0.6.3-33.el5
kvm.x86_64 83-164.el5
qemu.x86_64 2:0.10.5-1.el5.2
kernel.x86_64 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5

When I run virt-top, it shows me the CPU and memory
usage of the VMs, but the disk and network colums
are empty.

I found this page:
http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top/faq.html

That states it depends on what is supported by
libvirt and the hypervisor.

I guess the packages I have installed do not support
it.

Any idea if/when it will be supported?

Are there alternative tools that will give me
that info?

Thanks,
Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957
FREE trial: cPanel VPS with unmetered bandwidth

Old 05-26-2010, 09:21 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 09:40:18PM -0500, Neil Aggarwal wrote:
> When I run virt-top, it shows me the CPU and memory
> usage of the VMs, but the disk and network colums
> are empty.
>
> I found this page:
> http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top/faq.html
>
> That states it depends on what is supported by
> libvirt and the hypervisor.

Basically you need to look at whether the stats are available in
libvirt. For example on my (Fedora) host:

# virsh domifstat F13x64 vnet0
vnet0 rx_bytes 30105725
vnet0 rx_packets 31983
vnet0 rx_errs 0
vnet0 rx_drop 0
vnet0 tx_bytes 1252853
vnet0 tx_packets 13921
vnet0 tx_errs 0
vnet0 tx_drop 0

# virsh domblkstat F13x64 hda
hda rd_req 13545
hda rd_bytes 341982208
hda wr_req 9968
hda wr_bytes 206386176

I also tried this on a CentOS 5.4 machine, and I think there is a bug
in libvirt because I get some strangely inconsistent results from
these commands (as in, sometimes they run and sometimes they fail,
randomly AFAICT).

It's quite possible that the version of libvirt in RHEL 5 doesn't
fully support these stats, and I'm pretty sure we don't test network
and block stats (since we never provided or supported virt-top in RHEL
5, so we don't need it to). RHEL 6 will ship with a fully supported
virt-top command.

Followups set to virt-tools-list.

Rich.

libguestfs lets you edit virtual machines. Supports shell scripting,
bindings from many languages. http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html