Old 01-23-2009, 05:39 AM
Dennis Gilmore

Default RHEL 5.3

RHEL 5.3 brought with it some new additions
pexepct ( congrats rsc, your package got in unmodified)
java-1.6.0-openjdk (only on i386 and x86_64) we will need to ExclusiveArch
ppc it.

In accordance with out guideline of not replacing RHEL packages we need to
remove them. there are possibly others. Im going to get together a list of
packages that moved from EPEL to RHEL. I will mark them dead in cvs and
remove them from the repos.

Dennis

Old 01-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Thorsten Leemhuis

RHEL 5.3 brought with it some new additions
pexepct ( congrats rsc, your package got in unmodified)
java-1.6.0-openjdk (only on i386 and x86_64) we will need to ExclusiveArch
ppc it.

In accordance with out guideline of not replacing RHEL packages we need to
remove them. there are possibly others. Im going to get together a list of
packages that moved from EPEL to RHEL. I will mark them dead in cvs and
remove them from the repos.

In the past we left the packages in the repo until CentOS had released
their latest version (CentOS 5.3 in this case) + two or three weeks for
people to update to it. I assume that will be the case this time as well?

CU
knurd

Old 01-23-2009, 06:34 AM
Dennis Gilmore

On Friday 23 January 2009 01:07:58 am Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 23.01.2009 07:39, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > RHEL 5.3 brought with it some new additions
> > pexepct ( congrats rsc, your package got in unmodified)
> > java-1.6.0-openjdk (only on i386 and x86_64) we will need to
> > ExclusiveArch ppc it.
> >

> > In accordance with out guideline of not replacing RHEL packages we need
> > to remove them. there are possibly others. Im going to get together a
> > list of packages that moved from EPEL to RHEL. I will mark them dead in
> > cvs and remove them from the repos.
>
> In the past we left the packages in the repo until CentOS had released
> their latest version (CentOS 5.3 in this case) + two or three weeks for
> people to update to it. I assume that will be the case this time as well?
Yes, we will get the full list of what will be removed and publish it. and
allow time to prepare. we should be able to remove the packages at the next
stable push.

Dennis

Old 01-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Robert Scheck

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> pexepct ( congrats rsc, your package got in unmodified)

That already happend for RHEL 5.2, that's nothing new for RHEL 5.3.

> In accordance with out guideline of not replacing RHEL packages we need to
> remove them. there are possibly others. Im going to get together a list of
> packages that moved from EPEL to RHEL. I will mark them dead in cvs and
> remove them from the repos.

Again, can we please move an older version of pexpect (e.g. -0 rather -1 or
so) for EPEL? You did not answer my question until now.

Greetings,
Robert

Old 01-23-2009, 08:43 AM
David Juran

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 00:39 -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> RHEL 5.3 brought with it some new additions
> pexepct ( congrats rsc, your package got in unmodified)

(-:

> java-1.6.0-openjdk (only on i386 and x86_64) we will need to ExclusiveArch
> ppc it.

Actually it's a bit more comlicated then that, the browser plugin
(java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin) was left out of RHEL... What do you think of
keeping the src rpm (making sure it's in sync with RHEL) and _only_
pushing the plugin sub-package into EPEL?

--
David Juran
Sr. Consultant

Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Rex Dieter

David Juran wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 00:39 -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>> RHEL 5.3 brought with it some new additions
>> pexepct ( congrats rsc, your package got in unmodified)
>
> (-:
>
>> java-1.6.0-openjdk (only on i386 and x86_64) we will need to
>> ExclusiveArch
>> ppc it.
>
> Actually it's a bit more comlicated then that, the browser plugin
> (java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin) was left out of RHEL... What do you think of
> keeping the src rpm (making sure it's in sync with RHEL) and _only_
> pushing the plugin sub-package into EPEL?

If it works, and doesn't conflict... shouldn't be a problem.

-- Rex

Old 01-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Mike McGrath

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Robert Scheck wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > pexepct ( congrats rsc, your package got in unmodified)
>
> That already happend for RHEL 5.2, that's nothing new for RHEL 5.3.
>
> > In accordance with out guideline of not replacing RHEL packages we need to
> > remove them. there are possibly others. Im going to get together a list of
> > packages that moved from EPEL to RHEL. I will mark them dead in cvs and
> > remove them from the repos.
>
> Again, can we please move an older version of pexpect (e.g. -0 rather -1 or
> so) for EPEL? You did not answer my question until now.

I'm not sure why you think you and pexpect are so special. We've done
this many times in the past and it works just fine.

-Mike

Old 01-23-2009, 01:54 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 08:07:58AM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 23.01.2009 07:39, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>> RHEL 5.3 brought with it some new additions
>> pexepct ( congrats rsc, your package got in unmodified)
>> java-1.6.0-openjdk (only on i386 and x86_64) we will need to
>> ExclusiveArch ppc it.
>>

>> In accordance with out guideline of not replacing RHEL packages we need
>> to remove them. there are possibly others. Im going to get together a
>> list of packages that moved from EPEL to RHEL. I will mark them dead
>> in cvs and remove them from the repos.
>
> In the past we left the packages in the repo until CentOS had released
> their latest version (CentOS 5.3 in this case) + two or three weeks for
> people to update to it. I assume that will be the case this time as well?

Karanbir Singh posted this on his blog a few days ago:

http://www.karan.org/blog/index.php/2009/01/20/the-centos-5-3-grind-starts

Rich.

software inside the virtual machine. Supports Linux and Windows.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/

Old 01-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Robert Scheck

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Mike McGrath wrote:
> I'm not sure why you think you and pexpect are so special. We've done
> this many times in the past and it works just fine.

I'm not sure why you are still thinking, that we need to break things by
removing the package: It won't break more as Red Hat already has broken by
not incrementing release of ENVRA when importing it from EPEL into RHEL.

As we figgured out in this thread before, the only real way is to increment
release on Red Hat side and freeze the package in EPEL or keep ENVRA of it
in EPEL below ENVRA of it in RHEL.

Greetings,
Robert