Old 01-19-2009, 06:43 AM
David Juran

Default python-iniparse should not be in EPEL5

Hello.

I just noticed that python-iniparse got pushed into EPEL5 over the
weekend. However python-iniparse.0.2.3-4.el5 is already in the RHEL5
channel and that version should not be overridden by EPEL. Could someone
with the appropriate permissions please remove that it.

On a side-note, this is not the first time this happens. Would it make
sense to implement some kind of sanity check in the push script that
flags if a EPEL package is overriding a RHEL package?

--
David Juran
Sr. Consultant

Old 01-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 09:43 +0200, David Juran wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just noticed that python-iniparse got pushed into EPEL5 over the
> weekend. However python-iniparse.0.2.3-4.el5 is already in the RHEL5
> channel and that version should not be overridden by EPEL. Could someone
> with the appropriate permissions please remove that it.
>
> On a side-note, this is not the first time this happens. Would it make
> sense to implement some kind of sanity check in the push script that
> flags if a EPEL package is overriding a RHEL package?

You are correct. This is not the first time that a package previously in
EPEL is added to RHEL. Nor will this be the last time.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Thorsten Leemhuis

I just noticed that python-iniparse got pushed into EPEL5 over the
weekend. However python-iniparse.0.2.3-4.el5 is already in the RHEL5
channel and that version should not be overridden by EPEL. Could someone
with the appropriate permissions please remove that it.

Partly my fault, as I prepared the push (but we don't check for such
things there). But only dgilmore (CCed) can do the removal.

On a side-note, this is not the first time this happens.

"Not the first time" for this precise package? Or was that a more
general comment?

Would it make
sense to implement some kind of sanity check in the push script that
flags if a EPEL package is overriding a RHEL package?

I'd actually say the push scripts are the wrong place -- a script IMHO
should watch CVS and yell as soon as a EPEL branch for a regular EL
package is created.

CU
knurd

Old 01-19-2009, 07:13 AM
David Juran

On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 09:04 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> "Not the first time" for this precise package? Or was that a more
> general comment?

General comment. AFAIK, this has previously happened to perl-Date-Manip
and perl-Net-Telnet.

> I'd actually say the push scripts are the wrong place -- a script IMHO
> should watch CVS and yell as soon as a EPEL branch for a regular EL
> package is created.

Makes sense. I'll have a go at it as soon as real-life-thingies allows.
Unless someone gets to it before me that is (-:

--
David Juran
Sr. Consultant

Old 01-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Dennis Gilmore

On Monday 19 January 2009 01:59:39 am Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 09:43 +0200, David Juran wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I just noticed that python-iniparse got pushed into EPEL5 over the
> > weekend. However python-iniparse.0.2.3-4.el5 is already in the RHEL5
> > channel and that version should not be overridden by EPEL. Could someone
> > with the appropriate permissions please remove that it.
It has been in EPEL for much longer. we really need to have word from RH when
they add things shipped in EPEL.

> > On a side-note, this is not the first time this happens. Would it make
> > sense to implement some kind of sanity check in the push script that
> > flags if a EPEL package is overriding a RHEL package?
>
> You are correct. This is not the first time that a package previously in
> EPEL is added to RHEL. Nor will this be the last time.
Its being removed in the push im doing right now.

Dennis

Old 01-19-2009, 03:42 PM
David Juran

On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 09:35 -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> It has been in EPEL for much longer. we really need to have word from RH when
> they add things shipped in EPEL.

That's weird. python-iniparse has been in RHEL5 since the 5.2 update in
May but the EPEL update just registered on my system this weekend.

> Its being removed in the push im doing right now.

Thanks for the swift response (-:

--
David Juran
Sr. Consultant

Old 01-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 18:42 +0200, David Juran wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 09:35 -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>
> > It has been in EPEL for much longer. we really need to have word from RH when
> > they add things shipped in EPEL.
>
> That's weird. python-iniparse has been in RHEL5 since the 5.2 update in
> May but the EPEL update just registered on my system this weekend.

That's because EPEL had an equal or older EVR, and only now has it been
updated past the one in RHEL.

It *should* have been removed, but the EPEL maintainers are not mind
readers and not all of them use RHEL, so a package added to RHEL can
slip through the cracks.