Old 11-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Bryan J Smith

Default EPEL pulseaudio and esound/esd compat ...

Anyone here try the "pulseaudio-*" packages from EPEL on RHEL 5?
Anyone attempt to use the "pulseaudio-esound-compat"?

The "esdcompat" page included with "pulseaudio-esound-compat" says ...

'drop-in replacement for esd, i.e. it can be used to
make gnome-session(1) start up PulseAudio instead of esd.'

But when I remove "esound" (which conflicts with) and install
"pulseaudio-esound-compat", I clearly lose my ability to start GNOME
session. I.e., I login, then the GNOME session closes within seconds.

The compat package only includes the "esdcompat" wrapper script, a
symlink "esd" to it (plus the man page). The original "esound" package
includes libraries and other things.

E.g., (on a RHEL 5.2 system within 1 month of updates)

$ yum provides esound
esound.i386
pulseaudio-esound-compat.i386

Which is required by ...

$ rpm -q --whatrequires esound
libgnomeui-2.16.0-5.el5

*BUT*

$ rpm -q --whatrequires libesd.so.0
libgnome-2.16.0-6.el5
nautilus-2.16.2-7.el5
gnome-session-2.16.0-6.el5
... (and many other GNOME components) ...

Which is solved only by ...

$ yum provides libesd.so.0
esound.i386

I assume this is likely my problem? Or something else?

BTW, I just checked the RHEL 5.3 beta, and ...

$ rpm -qR gnome-session | grep -i esd
libesd.so.0

-- Bryan

P.S. I have a working RHEL 5 LTSP client now, including remote storage
(LTSPfs) and other support. Just hoping to get pulseaudio working too,
although I'm going to look further at just using remote esd/ALSA, if
possible.

--
Bryan J Smith - Senior Consultant - Red Hat GPS SE US
mailto:bjs@redhat.com +1 (407) 489-7013 (Mobile)