-   -   mock 0.8.9 for EPEL-5 (http://www.linux-archive.org/epel-development/1560-mock-0-8-9-epel-5-a.html)

Michael E Brown 11-20-2007 06:53 PM

mock 0.8.9 for EPEL-5

All,
Mock 0.8.9 is sitting in the upstream git repository. I have tested
this version on RHEL5, and it appears to work satisfactorily there. I
have fixed the last remaining issue that I have seen on RHEL.

There are a few config file changes, as well as a couple differences
in command line behaviour from previous releases, detailed in my release
announcement to fedora-buildsys-list [1].

What are people's thoughts on upgrading the EPEL5 version of mock to
0.8.9? I would like to upgrade EPEL5 mock to 0.8.9.

Here are the benefits:

Bugfixes:
-- There are several outstanding bugs in the existing version of mock
on RHEL, including one bug that can result in removal of /dev/ on the
host in some circumstances. These are all fixed in 0.8.x.

Speed:
-- root cache (formerly called autocache) are much smaller
-- yum cache means that you can speed up yum operations without setting
up local mirror or squid
-- ccache integration -- faster builds

All of the caching improvements result in a pretty significant
build-time reduction, especially for people who use mock on a regular
basis.

Logging:
-- now uses native pythong logging module, for more configurable
logging options.

Administration:
-- cleanup-after set by default, keeps old mock chroots from
accumulating.

New commands:
-- mock install and mock installdeps allow easier use of chroot for
testing situations.

Easier maintenance:
-- mock-helper is now gone, and everything happens in mock.py, making
coding of new extensions much easier. There is a setuid-wrapper which
elevates permissions before calling mock.py.

And the drawbacks:

-- small change in commandline behaviour: 'rebuild' command used to be
implied/option, is now required.

-- method for adding .rpmmacros in the config file has changed over the
old version.

--
Michael

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-buildsys-list/2007-October/msg00029.html

Patrice Dumas 11-20-2007 07:13 PM

mock 0.8.9 for EPEL-5

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 01:53:14PM -0600, Michael E Brown wrote:
> And the drawbacks:
>
> -- small change in commandline behaviour: 'rebuild' command used to be
> implied/option, is now required.
>
> -- method for adding .rpmmacros in the config file has changed over the
> old version.

To me it looks like changes that are too much for a change in EPEL.

--
Pat

Rex Dieter 11-20-2007 07:24 PM

mock 0.8.9 for EPEL-5

Michael E Brown wrote:

> All,
> Mock 0.8.9 is sitting in the upstream git repository. I have tested
> this version on RHEL5, and it appears to work satisfactorily there. I
> have fixed the last remaining issue that I have seen on RHEL.
>
> There are a few config file changes, as well as a couple differences
> in command line behaviour from previous releases, detailed in my release
> announcement to fedora-buildsys-list [1].
>
> What are people's thoughts on upgrading the EPEL5 version of mock to
> 0.8.9? I would like to upgrade EPEL5 mock to 0.8.9.
>
> Here are the benefits:
>
> Bugfixes:
> -- There are several outstanding bugs in the existing version of mock
> on RHEL, including one bug that can result in removal of /dev/ on the
> host in some circumstances. These are all fixed in 0.8.x.

+1 upgrade, please. I've personally had this happen on several occasions.
Major suckage.

-- Rex

Michael E Brown 11-20-2007 07:49 PM

mock 0.8.9 for EPEL-5

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:13:24PM +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 01:53:14PM -0600, Michael E Brown wrote:
> > And the drawbacks:
> >
> > -- small change in commandline behaviour: 'rebuild' command used to be
> > implied/option, is now required.

Actually, I just committed a patch to restore backwards-compatibility
for this. This should remove this part as a stumbling block.

> > -- method for adding .rpmmacros in the config file has changed over the
> > old version.

But this still remains. Not sure that a huge number of people use this
feature, though.

> To me it looks like changes that are too much for a change in EPEL.

Does this change any opinions?
--
Michael

"Jon Ciesla" 11-20-2007 07:49 PM

mock 0.8.9 for EPEL-5

> Michael E Brown wrote:
>
>> All,
>> Mock 0.8.9 is sitting in the upstream git repository. I have tested
>> this version on RHEL5, and it appears to work satisfactorily there. I
>> have fixed the last remaining issue that I have seen on RHEL.
>>
>> There are a few config file changes, as well as a couple differences
>> in command line behaviour from previous releases, detailed in my release
>> announcement to fedora-buildsys-list [1].
>>
>> What are people's thoughts on upgrading the EPEL5 version of mock to
>> 0.8.9? I would like to upgrade EPEL5 mock to 0.8.9.
>>
>> Here are the benefits:
>>
>> Bugfixes:
>> -- There are several outstanding bugs in the existing version of mock
>> on RHEL, including one bug that can result in removal of /dev/ on the
>> host in some circumstances. These are all fixed in 0.8.x.
>
> +1 upgrade, please. I've personally had this happen on several occasions.
> Major suckage.

+1 I think this trumps the "do-not-update" tendancy EPEL has, due to the
severity of the bugs it fixes.

> -- Rex

novus ordo absurdum

Patrice Dumas 11-20-2007 07:53 PM

mock 0.8.9 for EPEL-5

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 02:49:01PM -0600, Michael E Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:13:24PM +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 01:53:14PM -0600, Michael E Brown wrote:
> > > And the drawbacks:
> > >
> > > -- small change in commandline behaviour: 'rebuild' command used to be
> > > implied/option, is now required.
>
> Actually, I just committed a patch to restore backwards-compatibility
> for this. This should remove this part as a stumbling block.
>

> > > -- method for adding .rpmmacros in the config file has changed over the
> > > old version.
>
> But this still remains. Not sure that a huge number of people use this
> feature, though.

If it is really the case, then no real problem. But how can you know?

But why not have just fixed the nasty bug only and leave the old mock?

--
Pat

Michael E Brown 11-20-2007 08:02 PM

mock 0.8.9 for EPEL-5

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:53:08PM +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 02:49:01PM -0600, Michael E Brown wrote:

> > Actually, I just committed a patch to restore backwards-compatibility
> > for this. This should remove this part as a stumbling block.

> > But this still remains. Not sure that a huge number of people use this
> > feature, though.
>
> If it is really the case, then no real problem. But how can you know?

Because the config format changed in Fedora and all of 3 people emailed
me about it.

> But why not have just fixed the nasty bug only and leave the old mock?

Mock in EPEL5 is 0.7.2. I have an *experimental* 0.7.7 patchset that
has been verified to *not* fix the problem. The change from 0.7.2 to
0.7.7+patch to fix this is, in itself, a pretty large jump with several
new features.

I'd rather not have to support the old branch, as it *truly* is a pain
in the neck to maintain due to the mock-helper/mock.py split.
--
Michael

"Stephen John Smoogen" 11-20-2007 08:05 PM

mock 0.8.9 for EPEL-5

On Nov 20, 2007 2:02 PM, Michael E Brown <Michael_E_Brown@dell.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:53:08PM +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:

Ok I am going to ask the harder question :). How does this affect
RHEL-4 and such?

Michael E Brown 11-20-2007 08:20 PM

mock 0.8.9 for EPEL-5

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 02:05:46PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Ok I am going to ask the harder question :). How does this affect
> RHEL-4 and such?

Does not affect RHEL4. I dont intend to upgrade mock in RHEL4 at this
time, as I dont have a box to test this out on. Nor do I think it worth
the effort to do so, as I doubt there are any users (or at least *very*
few, if any.)

Based on my own cursory look at it, I believe that it would be possible
for latest mock in git to run on RHEL4, but I dont see a point in
upgrading there.

You can still use mock on any other system to build RPMS for RHEL4, as
mock still distributes EL4 chroot configs. For example, from a Fedora-7
or Fedora-8 system, you can:

mock -r fedora-4-i386-epel rebuild my-super-duper.src.rpm

As a matter of fact, I actually use mock to compile lots of EL4 stuff
on a regular basis.
--
Michael

Manuel Wolfshant 11-20-2007 08:22 PM