Old 11-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Michael E Brown

Default mock 0.8.9 for EPEL-5

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 02:44:39PM -0700, Rich Megginson wrote:
> >Yes, I know Centos 4 and RHEL4 are popular. My point was that I didnt
> >think that many people actually ran mock on them. I've gotten very
> >little in the way of feedback from people running mock on EL4. The vast
> >majority of people (that I know about) running mock do so on
> >Fedora-<recent>, or RHEL5.
> >
> >As always, there are a very few people who might actually be running
> >mock there, I just havent heard from them.
> >
> I tried it - I had to hunt through the epel testing repo to find a
> yum/mock that would actually work on rhel4. However, if I can happily
> use fedora to build el4 packages with mock, then I would rather do that
> than actually have to run el4 just to build packages.
>
> So with mock 0.8.x, I can build el4 and el5 packages on fedora?

Absolutely. I do it *all the time*, as I distribute several packages for
EL4/5 from the dell repository (http://linux.dell.com/repo/software),
and mock is what I use to compile them.

I maintain mock very much because it is a dogfood thing for me.
--
Michael

Old 11-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

On 11/20/2007 11:44 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

On Nov 20, 2007 2:29 PM, Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy@nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:

On 11/20/2007 11:20 PM, Michael E Brown wrote:

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 02:05:46PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

Ok I am going to ask the harder question . How does this affect
RHEL-4 and such?

Does not affect RHEL4. I dont intend to upgrade mock in RHEL4 at this
time, as I dont have a box to test this out on. Nor do I think it worth
the effort to do so, as I doubt there are any users (or at least *very*
few, if any.)

I have to contradict you here. To my knowledge Centos 4 is quite popular
and even though lots of people have switched their devel boxes to C5 or
Fedora, those still using C4 need love, too.

>From what I can tell with 3 sites, the numbers are the following:

60%+ EL-3
30%+ EL-4
5% + EL-5
5% other.

Stephen, please note that we are not simply speaking about machines
_running_ a specific distro but about machines running a distro
_and_also_ doing development. As Michael has pointed out, one can very
well do development on one distro (i.e. run mock on a Fedora box for
instance) and test the compiled stuff on EL-3 / EL-4 / EL-5.

BTW, I think that it would be nice to have a clear reference somewhere
in the wiki for configs with the options needed to build for EL-3. (Yes,
I know EPEL does not support this distro but a) as pointed above there
are quite a lot of machines in use and b) it would not hurt.)

Old 11-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Rex Dieter

Michael E Brown wrote:

> There is a head-scratcher. I *thought* that it was rpmbuild's
> responsibility to automatically detect the number of processors in the
> system and add this flag, if necessary.

Yes, %{_smp_mflags} gets defined automatically

-- Rex

Old 11-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

There is a head-scratcher. I *thought* that it was rpmbuild's
responsibility to automatically detect the number of processors in the
system and add this flag, if necessary.

Yes, %{_smp_mflags} gets defined automatically

Could it be that the option is defined automatically in koji (plague?)
but not on my box?
I had a package not compiling with -j3 and I detected it only after
adding the said option to mock config.