Old 02-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Default Stupid question

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 09:33 +0100, Uwe Kubosch wrote:

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 07:11 +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
I've taken over the ruby package, which basically is the first
core-component piece of software on my relatively small list of packages.

Attached is a patch that was in ruby-1.8.6, and that I rebased to
ruby-1.8.7. Since it's a really simple patch, I wonder why it's not
upstream.

Please do not move the Ruby 1.8 package to 1.8.7. The consensus in the
Ruby community is that 1.8.7 introduces unnecessary incompatibilities
without really adding value. 1.8.7 is meant as a transitional package
to Ruby 1.9, but the majority of Ruby users will want to keep using Ruby
1.8.6 until they switch directly to Ruby 1.9.1. You should focus on
maintaining Ruby 1.8.6 and Ruby 1.9.1 in parallel. Ruby 1.8.7 should be
passed over unless there is a very clear demand from Fedora users to
introduce it.

I had something witty-yet-acerbic to respond with, but I think my
presence alone in this thread may be enough :P

Geh...

http://kanarip.livejournal.com/9911.html

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen