Old 05-29-2008, 06:03 AM
"Jordan Erickson"

Default Towards a simpler desktop environment: What is the current state of the art?

Hi John,

I know you said you didn't think gconf had the lockdown functionality you
need, but it's all I use to lock down my student desktops, besides
standard Linux practices.

Here is some information I've gathered over time regarding Gnome desktop
lockdown in Ubuntu/LTSP/Edubuntu (This was just information I thought was
useful in my elementary student labs, and I know - some of this stuff is
of "ugly hack" status and might not all be completely tested for all
environments so be conscious of what you're doing):

Useful lockdown GConf keys: http://lns.wikidot.com/gconf
Clean up menus: http://lns.wikidot.com/gnomecleanupmenus
Custom menus: http://lns.wikidot.com/gnomecustommenus
Hide directories in Nautilus: http://lns.wikidot.com/nautilushidefilesystem
Mandatory Firefox homepage for all:
http://lns.wikidot.com/firefoxmandatoryhomepage
Lock down user home dirs: http://lns.wikidot.com/userdirsecurity

HTH,
Jordan

Old 05-29-2008, 04:36 PM
dbclinton

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 23:03 -0700, Jordan Erickson wrote:
> Hide directories in Nautilus: http://lns.wikidot.com/nautilushidefilesystem

Thanks for this. Is there any automatic way to make these folders
visible to the admin?
David

Old 05-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Jordan Erickson

AFAIK this is system-wide, independent of user/group membership.

GConf is like this for the most part, too (I wish it was more fine-grained).

Sincerely,
Jordan

--
Jordan Erickson
Owner, Logical Networking Solutions

Latest LNS Blogs - http://blogs.logicalnetworking.net

The real RocketMan
Computerworld.com examines Ubuntu Linux
Exhaust from cars causing flowers to lose their scent?