Old 05-27-2008, 08:03 PM
"Jonathan D. Proulx"

Default Towards a simpler desktop environment: What is the current state of the art?

This is a little off the wall as I haven't tried it, but...

Like FVWM ultimately gnoem and kde are configured by rc files, if you
set them to read-only the GUI won't be able to set them. It may still
effect the current session though (not sure...)

just a thought,
-Jon

Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 AM
"David Van Assche"

I used Sabayon and Pessulus (lockdown manager) to set up controlled environments for our exam accounts this year, and that worked quite well. Granted, Sabayon crashes every once in a while, but it works, and I believe the winbind bug has been fixed now. I was going to write up a little howto, as I received quite some help from the IRC channel, but try it out... you'll have to set up seperate user groups and users within sabayon, but from within sabayon you then have access to the lockdown editor which is then tied to all the accounts of that user group (for example, students, or staff, or exam accounts)

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche