FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Edubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-27-2008, 07:14 PM
john
 
Default Towards a simpler desktop environment: What is the current state of the art?

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2008, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
>
>> > How can I get _complete_ control over the user environment?
>
>> A slightly contrary alternative answer (I don't know much about sabayon
>> etc.) is that you could give them a very limited desktop like fvwm95.
>>
>> http://fvwm95.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> It's not that pretty, but it's a familiar format and it doesn't offer much
>> customisation. Actually, that's not true it offers lots, but you mostly
>> need to do it by modifying rc files and students are unlikely to figure
>> that out.
>
> You could even set the RC file and make it read-only so as to stop them
> editing it.
>
> Oh, and I should say, it has a very low cpu/memory footprint which will
> allow you more students and better performance per server.
>
> Gavin
>
>
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>

Thanks Gavin,

I'll keep FVWM95 in mind. I'm really hoping to hear that there is a
working solution for edubuntu using tools provided with gnome or kde.
:-> At first blush FVWM is pretty retro. I appreciate the small
footprint however.

Thanks!

John

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 05-27-2008, 07:20 PM
john
 
Default Towards a simpler desktop environment: What is the current state of the art?

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Asmo Koskinen
<asmo.koskinen@arkki.info> wrote:
> john kirjoitti:
>> How can I get _complete_ control over the user environment?
>>
>
> I do not _care_ what people do with their _own_ desktop.
>
> I just give them programs that are useful for everybody or someone want
> for a good reason.
>
> It is that simple to me... To me it is waste of time to _control_ user
> environment...
>
> Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.
Hi Asmo,

I appreciate your position, and feel similarly on a personal level.

This is an important matter for me because the teachers and librarians
that are helping the 1000 or so students using LTSP are telling me
what they need to be productive. I want them to use Free Software and
I want to help them use it productively. For us this kind of control
is over our software environment is important.

Thanks for your input,

John

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:35 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org