-   -   no sound with Audacity (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/96240-no-sound-audacity.html)

Uwe Geercken 05-27-2008 02:45 PM

no sound with Audacity

hello together,

I prepared a lesson at home today, to get the kids familiar with
audacity, which I had promised them already a while ago.

unfortunately when I came into the classroom I had to find out, that
there is no sound when I click on play on the thin clients. I tried to
change the output device from the audacity preferences dialog (several
ALSA choises displayed: digital, analog, surround, ..), but without
luck. but I can play the mp3's with Totem.

Btw.: I also have no sound on the server using audacity.

I guess I am missing a library on codec or so. can somebody help, please.

rgds,

uwe

Gavin McCullagh 05-27-2008 03:03 PM

no sound with Audacity

Hi,

On Tue, 27 May 2008, Uwe Geercken wrote:

> I prepared a lesson at home today, to get the kids familiar with
> audacity, which I had promised them already a while ago.
>
> unfortunately when I came into the classroom I had to find out, that
> there is no sound when I click on play on the thin clients.

According to the PulseAudio wiki, audacity doesn't have support for
PulseAudio or esound and you have to talk direct to Alsa on desktops.
This suggests that it's unlikely to be able to play sound on thin clients
at all, though refers to an old version of audacity.

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#Audacity
http://www.linux.com/feature/119926

However, apparently on Hardy, some people have managed to get this to work
now in Hardy:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio#head-66e5312f0478edd768dde4dbe4cad80cc22d957e

Gavin