Old 05-21-2008, 05:52 PM

Default How to run iTalc with Hardy LTSP server

I can invoke iTalc from the gui but dont know how to add a computer (which is a LTSP client) in the gui. I tried the ip address and the mac address of the ltsp client but got a "Unable to connect .." msg.

Could not locate any information on the web ?
-sanjeev

Old 05-21-2008, 07:04 PM
dbclinton

On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 10:52 -0700, coverify@yahoo.com wrote:
> I can invoke iTalc from the gui but dont know how to add a computer (which is a LTSP client) in the gui. I tried the ip address and the mac address of the ltsp client but got a "Unable to connect .." msg.
>
> Could not locate any information on the web ?

Here's iTALC's howto for thin clients:

http://italc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=ITALC_in_a_ThinClient_environment

I've been trying myself but with the same results you've had...
David

Old 05-22-2008, 11:27 AM
"David Van Assche"

The way to use italc with thin clients is adding 127.0.0.1 or localhost and the portnumber 10000+last byte of IP. For example... the client IP I want to connect to is:

192.168.0.15, then connecting to this user from the master Italc interface would be:

localhost:10015

Some users have mentioned it requires the actual IP of the server (ie. 192.168.0.254)

Apparently, in the next Italc release/s there will be a client side part of Italc allowing clients to message the master italc computer... this would allow for users to ask for help/support.

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche

Old 05-25-2008, 05:18 AM
dbclinton

Thanks so much for this info (interestingly, iTALC's documentation says
you should add the final ip number to 11000 rather than 10000).
After finally figuring out that I would only be able to change settings
in iTALC using SUDO, I gave it a shot configuring my clients to various
combinations of your settings. I was still unable to recognize any
clients from the server, but imagine my shock when my mouse started
moving on its own! It turns out that the client (localhost:10244) had a
live sesson of iTALC on *its* desktop and my kids, having hit "support",
were playing around with *my* desktop!
Not sure exactly what happened there, but I'll work on it some more
tomorrow.
Thanks,
David