-   -   How to run iTalc with Hardy LTSP server (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/92768-how-run-italc-hardy-ltsp-server.html)

05-21-2008 05:52 PM

How to run iTalc with Hardy LTSP server

I can invoke iTalc from the gui but dont know how to add a computer (which is a LTSP client) in the gui. I tried the ip address and the mac address of the ltsp client but got a "Unable to connect .." msg.

Could not locate any information on the web ?
-sanjeev

dbclinton 05-21-2008 07:04 PM

On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 10:52 -0700, coverify@yahoo.com wrote:
> I can invoke iTalc from the gui but dont know how to add a computer (which is a LTSP client) in the gui. I tried the ip address and the mac address of the ltsp client but got a "Unable to connect .." msg.
>
> Could not locate any information on the web ?

Here's iTALC's howto for thin clients:

http://italc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=ITALC_in_a_ThinClient_environment

I've been trying myself but with the same results you've had...
David

"David Van Assche" 05-22-2008 11:27 AM

How to run iTalc with Hardy LTSP server

The way to use italc with thin clients is adding 127.0.0.1 or localhost and the portnumber 10000+last byte of IP. For example... the client IP I want to connect to is:

192.168.0.15, then connecting to this user from the master Italc interface would be:

localhost:10015

Some users have mentioned it requires the actual IP of the server (ie. 192.168.0.254)

Apparently, in the next Italc release/s there will be a client side part of Italc allowing clients to message the master italc computer... this would allow for users to ask for help/support.

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche

dbclinton 05-25-2008 05:18 AM

How to run iTalc with Hardy LTSP server

Thanks so much for this info (interestingly, iTALC's documentation says
you should add the final ip number to 11000 rather than 10000).
After finally figuring out that I would only be able to change settings
in iTALC using SUDO, I gave it a shot configuring my clients to various
combinations of your settings. I was still unable to recognize any
clients from the server, but imagine my shock when my mouse started
moving on its own! It turns out that the client (localhost:10244) had a
live sesson of iTALC on *its* desktop and my kids, having hit "support",
were playing around with *my* desktop!
Not sure exactly what happened there, but I'll work on it some more
tomorrow.
Thanks,
David