Old 05-18-2008, 12:19 PM
"Tom Atkins"

Default Fat clients or standalone for DVD watching?

I have Ubuntu 8.04 LTSP running on the server and 10 thin
clients all working well in a small lab. The thin clients are old Pentium 2s
and still going strong.

*

We are buying a couple of new PCs *for ‘multimedia’
in the same lab – in particular watching of DVD’s and burning CD’s.*
What is the best way to set these up? Should I just install Ubuntu locally on
each of the new PCs and then use NFS and LDAP for authentication and file
sharing to the server? Or would the LTSP Fat client setup work for DVD watching?
Fat client setup as described here:

*

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPFatClients

*

If the Fat Client setup would work, would the Fat Clients be
diskless or would I need to buy hard drives?

*

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts – and also
thanks to the Edubuntu / LTSP developers for a wonderful thing.

*

(For interest: I’ve just upgraded the lab of 10
computers that was running LTSP on Fedora Core 2! It ran flawlessly for 4 years
but Netscape Navigator was looking a bit dated!)

*

-------------------------

Tom Atkins

Ireland

Old 05-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Sun, 18 May 2008, Tom Atkins wrote:

> We are buying a couple of new PCs for 'multimedia' in the same lab - in
> particular watching of DVD's and burning CD's. What is the best way to set
> these up? Should I just install Ubuntu locally on each of the new PCs and
> then use NFS and LDAP for authentication and file sharing to the server? Or
> would the LTSP Fat client setup work for DVD watching?

From a maintenance point of view (applying patches, adding packages, disk
failures, keeping the installs consistent), the LTSP stuff would be handy.
Local desktops might have some advantages too though.

> Fat client setup as described here:

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPFatClients
>
> If the Fat Client setup would work, would the Fat Clients be diskless or
> would I need to buy hard drives?

The general idea is that they would be diskless though they could I guess
have local storage if you wanted it. It seems to miss the point if you
need to do that though.

Gavin

Old 05-19-2008, 02:17 PM
"David Van Assche"

The Fat client setup is more than enough for running multimedia apps on, in fact it was thought out with that in mind. I've tested it with KDE, XFCE and Gnome and all work quite well. I would advise that you first install the environment with the plugin, then enter the chroot and install LDAP and NFS, as well as all the multimedia apps you're gonna need.

It would be nice if someone could figure out how to mount via sshfs instead of nfs (the latter seems a bit jerky sometimes, plus there is the security issue.) I've been unable to tunnel the /home through ssh... too complicated for me... but there are people on this list who could do it in seconds ;-)

When setting up the LDAP server on the ubuntu box, there are some things that don't work quite as they should when going through some of the wikis. For example, when installing smbldap-tools, it should copy a bunch of scripts that allow you to migrate the unix users to LDAP, but nothing happens. So you manually have to copy the scripts from here: /usr/share/doc/smbldap-tools/examples/migrationscripts as well as the smb.conf, smbldap.conf and smbldap_bind.conf found in the examples directory to /etc/smbldap-tools. Then edit the smb*.conf files so that you have the right LDAP server settings in there.

As Gavin said, it seems silly to install the environment in a local harddrive... it would be better from an administration point to make it a chroot so you only have to update one location, as opposed to every fat client... so diskless would be the way to go.

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche

> We are buying a couple of new PCs *for 'multimedia' in the same lab - in

> particular watching of DVD's and burning CD's. *What is the best way to set

> these up? Should I just install Ubuntu locally on each of the new PCs and

> then use NFS and LDAP for authentication and file sharing to the server? Or

> would the LTSP Fat client setup work for DVD watching?

From a maintenance point of view (applying patches, adding packages, disk

Old 05-20-2008, 07:51 AM
"Tom Atkins"

Many thanks for the very helpful replies David and Gavin. I will have a go at setting up the FAT clients as described (probably
next month) and will report back on how I get on!

Tom