Old 05-16-2008, 06:44 PM
"Nicolas Roussi"

Default 64bit server and 64 bit clients

Hi all,
I just setup up an LTSP server on ubuntu 8.04 and the edubuntu add on package. I installed everything but when I connect a client it gives me the following:
PXE-T01: File not found.
PXE-E3B:TFTP Error - File not found

The server is 64 bit and the clients are 64 bit capable. I did some digging and I found my /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf. This is what it has:
#
# Default LTSP dhcpd.conf config file.
#

authoritative;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

*** range 192.168.0.20 192.168.0.250;
*** option domain-name "example.com";
*** option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;

*** option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
*** option routers 192.168.0.1;
#*** next-server 192.168.0.1;
#*** get-lease-hostnames true;

*** option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
*** option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
*** if substring( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9 ) = "PXEClient" {
******* filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";

*** } else {
******* filename "/ltsp/i386/nbi.img";
*** }
}
I know the error that PXE is giving me is* because I did not run this command ltsp-build-client --arch i386and the i386 image file is not created. My question is: Is it possible to have amd64 and i386 image files and select which one the thin client uses to boot? Maybe by modifying the if statement in dhcpd.conf or have options on boot of the thin client?

Thanks
--
Nicolas Roussi

Old 05-16-2008, 07:45 PM
"David Van Assche"

For 64 bit clients, you need to feed pxe with amd64, not i386. So change your dhcpd.conf file to have /opt/ltsp/amd64

The /opt/ltsp/amd64 directory and the image should already have been created when you installed the LTSP server.

Kind Regards,
David

Old 05-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Manu

Hi,

2008/5/16 Nicolas Roussi <nroussi@gmail.com>:
> Thanks for your reply. But my question was if it is possible to have both
> chroot architectures (amd64 and i386) and have the client select which one
> to boot from.

Perhaps you can use the pxegrub but I think it's not easy way, see some doc :

http://christian-leber.de/VoidWiki/DisklessBooting
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Diskless_Install

Bye
Manu

--
Emmanuel Le Normand
Ubuntu-fr / Edubuntu-fr

Old 05-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Fri, 16 May 2008, Nicolas Roussi wrote:

> My question is: Is it possible to have amd64 and i386 image files and
> select which one the thin client uses to boot? Maybe by modifying the if
> statement in dhcpd.conf or have options on boot of the thin client?

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but you can create MAC specific dhcp
settings. We have a set of kiosks which boot a different chroot to
everything else. This is preset on the server of course, you don't get to
choose on the thin client.

The settings below create a group of mac addresses with special settings.
You could similarly change the filename and root-path to the 64-bit one.

Gavin

group {
# Library Kiosk Group
option root-path "/opt/ltsp-kiosk/i386";
filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
server-name "brooks.mt";
next-server brooks.mt;

host library1 {