Old 11-30-2007, 06:08 AM
Bill Moseley

Default Advocacy and Success Stories (was: awesome video series about edubuntu)

Sorry about the cross-post, but this is not specific to a
distribution.

These are great videos.

https://wiki.edubuntu.org/EdubuntuVideoIntroduction

I'm looking for more advocacy/success story links that I can provide
to a school for an introduction to LTSP. Especially stories of costs
and maintenance savings would be helpful.

The school wants to be "All Mac", but they have about 70 old iMacs
that need to be replaced and that's a lot of money for new hardware
they don't have and for hardware that may only be good for a handful
of years.

Nobody is familiar with LTSP at the school. There is a part-time tech
person, but they are not familiar with Linux. I think that fact may
make it hard for them to understand the benefits of managing a few
servers instead of 70 separate individual workstations.

There are, though, a number of parents familiar with Linux at the
school.

There's also the benefits of open source. The freedom part may take a
while to sink in, but the cost savings in licensing might be
significant. I'm not clear how much it would cost to outfit 70
machines with the software they would need (considering school
discounts), but I assume it could be significant.

This is a good introduction:

http://www.edubuntu.org/UsingEdubuntu

These may be more of a list of users:

http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/SuccessStories