Old 05-16-2008, 01:58 AM
"Lois Castro"

Default New Edubuntu user

Hi everyone,

I would like to introduce myself first. I am the ICT cooordinator of an
international school in Vietnam. We follow the IGCSE/IB diploma.

I am trying to switch from a Windows XP-based platform to an Edubuntu
one. I am quite new to this and don't know much about networks, so help
will be greatly appreciated. I am facing a few challenges:

1-I have found excellent open source alternatives for most software
except for a few applications used by the maths department. These are
Autograph (graphs), Geometer Sketchpad and Logo. None of them seem to
run under Wine (correct me if I am wrong). Also I couldn't find any
open source alternatives. What solution would you propose?

2-Up to know, we've had a school-wide Vindows Server 2003 network.
There are different drives, one for teachers, one for students, a
shared one and so on. Students and teachers also have permissions set
here, with username, passwords, etc... I installed Ubuntu on a few
workstations and it immediately connected to the internet and detected
the Windows network, but it doesn't seem to be able to access any of
the drives. Also, passwords and permissions are not recognised. As I
said, my knowledge of networks is very limited. Any suggestions here?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Luis Castro

Old 05-16-2008, 03:25 AM
"Daniel J. Summers"

Lois Castro wrote:
> Autograph (graphs), Geometer Sketchpad and Logo.
For Logo, have a look at KTurtle.

--
Daniel J. Summers
Owner, DJS Consulting

GEEKCODE 3.12 GCS/IT d s-:+ a C++ L++ E--- W++ N++ o? K- w !O M--
V PS+ PE++ Y? !PGP t+ 5? X+ R* tv b+ DI++ D+ G- e h---- r+++ y++++

Old 05-16-2008, 06:39 AM
francois

Le vendredi 16 mai 2008 à 08:58 +0700, Lois Castro a écrit :
> 1-I have found excellent open source alternatives for most software
> except for a few applications used by the maths department. These are
> Autograph (graphs), Geometer Sketchpad and Logo. None of them seem to
> run under Wine (correct me if I am wrong). Also I couldn't find any
> open source alternatives. What solution would you propose?

About geometry programs, you've got :

Kig and drgeo (installation with Synaptic).

And programs running in java :
Geogebra
C.a.R.
Geonext

http://www.framasoft.net/rubrique238.html
(in french I'm sorry)

Hope you'll find what you need

François

Old 05-16-2008, 02:02 PM
"Charles Austin"

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Lois Castro <lois.castro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> 2-Up to know, we've had a school-wide Vindows Server 2003 network. There are
> different drives, one for teachers, one for students, a shared one and so
> on. Students and teachers also have permissions set here, with username,
> passwords, etc... I installed Ubuntu on a few workstations and it
> immediately connected to the internet and detected the Windows network, but
> it doesn't seem to be able to access any of the drives. Also, passwords and
> permissions are not recognised. As I said, my knowledge of networks is very
> limited. Any suggestions here?

If you can see the Windows drives, you should be able to connect with
this format (assuming you are being prompted for a username and
password):

DomainUsername
Password

I cannot remember if the slash after the domain is a forward or
backward (try it both ways).

Hope that helps,
Charles

Old 05-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Manu

Hi,

> 2-Up to know, we've had a school-wide Vindows Server 2003 network. There are
> different drives, one for teachers, one for students, a shared one and so
> on. Students and teachers also have permissions set here, with username,
> passwords, etc... I installed Ubuntu on a few workstations and it
> immediately connected to the internet and detected the Windows network, but
> it doesn't seem to be able to access any of the drives. Also, passwords and
> permissions are not recognised. As I said, my knowledge of networks is very
> limited. Any suggestions here?

See this doc
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Samba/Kerberos

You need the Kerberos library for connecting the Win2003 server's sharing

Hope this help you

Manu
--
Emmanuel Le Normand
Ubuntu-fr / Edubuntu-fr

Old 05-18-2008, 11:16 PM
"Todd O'Bryan"

KSEG is a good alternative for Geometer's Sketchpad. It's available in
Synaptic and here's the website:

http://www.mit.edu/~ibaran/kseg.html

For graphing programs, you can check out these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Linux_graph_plotting_software

Todd