Old 05-14-2008, 05:04 PM
"Krsnendu dasa"

Default Core 2 Quad

Has anyone had any problems or good experience with Intel Core 2 Quads
running edubuntu?
I am having weird problems and wondered if it could be the quad core processor?

Old 05-14-2008, 05:10 PM
"Krsnendu dasa"

Is it true that 4 cores can only be used with 64 bit system? WIth
32bit system only 2 cores will be used?

Old 05-14-2008, 05:18 PM
"ekul taylor"

All 4 cores will run in either 32 or 64 bit mode. To ensure edubuntu
is seeing all the available processers in a terminal run:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

If all 4 cpus are being used you will see 4 sections. The processor
field should start at 0 and go to 3 (for cpu0, 1, 2 and 3)

If you have more then 4 GB of ram the amount over 4 GB will only be
used if you are using the 64 bit version of edubuntu due to a
limitation of the 32 bit architecture.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Richard Doyle

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 05:04 +1200, Krsnendu dasa wrote:
> Has anyone had any problems or good experience with Intel Core 2 Quads
> running edubuntu?
> I am having weird problems and wondered if it could be the quad core processor?
Works fine for me.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:41 PM
"Daniel Hunt"

Isn't there a kernel hack that allows you to use up to 32 gigs of RAM?

Old 05-15-2008, 01:16 AM
"ekul taylor"

using intel's PAE extensions you can address up to 64 GB of ram
although no single process can use more then 4GB at a time. 64 bit
mode is a much better bet

Old 05-15-2008, 05:24 AM
"Jaakko Jarvenpaa"

2008/5/15 Daniel Hunt <daniel.hunt@gmail.com>:
> Isn't there a kernel hack that allows you to use up to 32 gigs of RAM?

apt-get install linux-image-server

works for me in 32 bit mode.

Jaakko