Old 05-14-2008, 04:12 AM
Richard Doyle

Default OpenSSL vulnerability

There is a potentially serious vulnerability in OpenSSL which affects
Edubuntu and other Debian-based distributions:
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-612-1

Fixes are described in http://wiki.debian.org/SSLkeys . Since SSH is a
vital part of Edubuntu, and is affected by the vulnerability, every
affected system should be fixed ASAP. As I understand it, the fix for
version version 7.04 is to run the following commands:

sudo rm /etc/ssh/ssh_host_*
sudo dpkg-reconfigure openssh-server
sudo ltsp-update-sshkeys

This sounds like a serious vulnerability, particularly if you allow ssh
access into the thin-client network from outside. Corrections are
welcome!

There are related vulnerabilities that may affect some Edubuntu users
(OpenVPN is vulnerable).

Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 AM
Richard Doyle

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 21:12 -0700, Richard Doyle wrote:
> There is a potentially serious vulnerability in OpenSSL which affects
> Edubuntu and other Debian-based distributions:
> http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-612-1
>
> Fixes are described in http://wiki.debian.org/SSLkeys . Since SSH is a
> vital part of Edubuntu, and is affected by the vulnerability, every
> affected system should be fixed ASAP. As I understand it, the fix for
> version version 7.04 is to run the following commands:
>
> sudo rm /etc/ssh/ssh_host_*
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure openssh-server
> sudo ltsp-update-sshkeys
>
> This sounds like a serious vulnerability, particularly if you allow ssh
> access into the thin-client network from outside. Corrections are
> welcome!
>
> There are related vulnerabilities that may affect some Edubuntu users
> (OpenVPN is vulnerable).

A follow-up...
This fix worked for our lab, but as noted, we're still using 7.04.