Old 11-29-2007, 02:03 PM
"Tom Misilo"

Default Restricted Drivers Menu -- Server Kernel

Hey,

I was wondering if there is going to be a restricted modules release
for the server kernel? As I cannot open that program on a client to
try and enable restrticed drivers.

Thanks for the help

--
Tom Misilo
AIM:Tmisilo FL

Old 11-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Tom Misilo wrote:

> I was wondering if there is going to be a restricted modules release
> for the server kernel? As I cannot open that program on a client to
> try and enable restrticed drivers.

May I ask what restricted driver it is you need and do you really need to
use the server kernel?

Gavin

Old 11-29-2007, 02:31 PM
"Tom Misilo"

Well it is a server so why wouldn't I want to use that. Also the
motherboard can support up to 12GB of memory so I figure that would be
the kernel to use. no?

I am trying to enable the 915resolution driver on an ltsp client (my
Inspirion 1100 ) and I get an error of the restricted-driver for the
server kernel isn't installed.

Thanks for the help,

Tom

On Nov 29, 2007 10:11 AM, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Tom Misilo wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if there is going to be a restricted modules release
> > for the server kernel? As I cannot open that program on a client to
> > try and enable restrticed drivers.
>
> May I ask what restricted driver it is you need and do you really need to
> use the server kernel?
>
> Gavin

Tom Misilo
AIM:Tmisilo FL
Jabber:tmisilo@jabber.org
http://tmisilo.ath.cx

Old 11-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Tom Misilo wrote:

> Well it is a server so why wouldn't I want to use that. Also the
> motherboard can support up to 12GB of memory so I figure that would be
> the kernel to use. no?

If you have and need >4GB RAM, you would need the server kernel to support
it (only on the server mind, not the clients). However, turning this
support on has some associated cost so unless you're actually using that
much RAM, you're probably as well off with the generic kernel.

> I am trying to enable the 915resolution driver on an ltsp client (my
> Inspirion 1100 ) and I get an error of the restricted-driver for the
> server kernel isn't installed.

If you need the 915resolution stuff working on a thin client, you need to
install the restricted-driver package in the thin client chroot (where it
will be available to the thin client) not on the thin client server.

sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386/
apt-get install 915resolution linux-restricted-modules

You almost certainly shouldn't be using the server kernel within the thin
client chroot, even if you are using it on the server.

Gavin

Old 11-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Do, 2007-11-29 at 10:31 -0500, Tom Misilo wrote:
> Well it is a server so why wouldn't I want to use that. Also the
> motherboard can support up to 12GB of memory so I figure that would be
> the kernel to use. no?
>
> I am trying to enable the 915resolution driver on an ltsp client (my
> Inspirion 1100 ) and I get an error of the restricted-driver for the
> server kernel isn't installed.
all the intel drivers are free and are installed by default, the
915resolution hack is in universe and needs to be installed separately
in the client chroot if you *really* want to use the old driver, there
are no restricted drivers involved at all...

note that if you want to use 915resolution you need to force Xorg to use
the old i810 xserver through setting XSERVER=i810 since the
autodetection will likely use the "intel" xserver automatically (which
doesnt need the 915res. hack)

ciao
oli

Old 11-29-2007, 02:53 PM
"Tom Misilo"

On Nov 29, 2007 10:41 AM, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Tom Misilo wrote:
>
> > Well it is a server so why wouldn't I want to use that. Also the
> > motherboard can support up to 12GB of memory so I figure that would be
> > the kernel to use. no?
>
> If you have and need >4GB RAM, you would need the server kernel to support
> it (only on the server mind, not the clients). However, turning this
> support on has some associated cost so unless you're actually using that
> much RAM, you're probably as well off with the generic kernel.
>
> > I am trying to enable the 915resolution driver on an ltsp client (my
> > Inspirion 1100 ) and I get an error of the restricted-driver for the
> > server kernel isn't installed.
>
> If you need the 915resolution stuff working on a thin client, you need to
> install the restricted-driver package in the thin client chroot (where it
> will be available to the thin client) not on the thin client server.
>
> sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386/
> apt-get install 915resolution linux-restricted-modules
>
> You almost certainly shouldn't be using the server kernel within the thin
> client chroot, even if you are using it on the server.

Thanks I will try that. I wasn't sure if was like the rest of the
software you just install it on the server or not.

Thanks,

Tom