Old 05-05-2008, 11:33 PM
"Krsnendu dasa"

Default Copying over users without LDAP

Previously was using LDAP but now I am using the built in
authentication for users. (I found it hard to get LDAP and samba
working nicely in Hardy.)
I want to test out one box in just one classroom by copying /home and
user authentication information to the new box and rsyncing it daily
with the box that serves the rest of the school. Is there an easy way
to copy the authentication information, (e.g. just copy some files) or
do I have to export he usernames then import them again (e.g. in
webmin) and reset the passwords.

Any tips appreciated.

Krsnendu dasa

Old 05-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Kai Wollweber

On Tuesday 06 May 2008 01:33:36 Krsnendu dasa wrote:
> Previously was using LDAP but now I am using the built in
> authentication for users. (I found it hard to get LDAP and samba
> working nicely in Hardy.)
> I want to test out one box in just one classroom by copying /home and
> user authentication information to the new box and rsyncing it daily
> with the box that serves the rest of the school.

What is the authentication used on the main box? If it is linux with PAM you
can use nis and nfs. There is no need of rsyncing password files and home
dirs.

--
Kai Wollweber
Integrierte Gesamtschule

Old 05-07-2008, 02:32 PM
"David Van Assche"

Really, you just need to do an nfs export if you have copied the passwd, shadow and group files from the main box into the chroot. This document shows you how to do that, and has a little script which you can launch from lts.conf at bootup: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPFatClients

Kind Regards,
David