-   -   minimum specs for low fat clients (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/78744-minimum-specs-low-fat-clients.html)

"Krsnendu dasa" 04-29-2008 05:49 PM

minimum specs for low fat clients

What is considered a reasonable machine for a low fat client?

The clients I now use are 300-400MHz machines with 64 MB ram and 4 MB
video ram. Obviously not low fat client candidates.

I would like to get something cheap (used) to try out what should be
my minimum specs?
CPU?
RAM?
Video card capabilities?

Thanks,
Krsnendu dasa

"David Van Assche" 04-30-2008 08:10 AM

minimum specs for low fat clients

The recommended minimum for cpu is probably 600-800mhz with absolute minimum ram being 256 megs.

Gnome will run on lower cpus but if you intend to use the low fat client for multimedia apps and video streaming 1ghz+* and 500 Ram is recommended.

Video card specs are not that important, but again, if you intend to use 3D extensions like Open GL, obviously take a look as some of the better cards...