Old 04-28-2008, 11:55 PM
"Geraldine Gomputer Solutions"

Default Thin Client won't boot to login

Hi,

I'm trying to get a new lab set up - there are about 12 Windows PCs
that I'm intending to use as thin clients.

Here's my notes so far about what's going wrong:

Edubuntu 8.04 problem:

Loaded 64bit version on i965G with
Q6600 & 4GB RAM, built i386 ltsp image

Testing on home network:

Sempron64 2600+, Athlon X2 4600+, IBM
Laptop with Celeron 1.8GHz (32 bit only) all boot into thin client
with no problems, detect screen resolution (different for all)
correctly. Login works, Logout & halt or reboot PC works on all of
the above.

Example of thin clients I'm intending
to use, however...

Athlon XP 2000,
256MB DDR266, M825VXX motherboard with VIA chipset, onboard network,
graphics & video card...

Boot off
Rom-O-Matic CD, get an IP address, Edubuntu splash screen starts,
orange bit bounces from side to side, then goes to black screen with
cursor at top left.

Ctrl-Alt-F1 gives
the following details:

........................done

rhine disable

wait...

IP-Config: eth0
hardware address 00:0d:87:aa:eb:b4 mtu 1500 DHCP RARP

IP-Config: eth0
complete (from 192.168.1.2):

address:
192.168.1.249 broadcast: 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0

gateway:
192.168.1.1 dns0: 192.168.1.1 dns1: 0.0.0.0

domain :
intranet.waihi.school.nz

rootserver:
192.168.1.2 rootpath: /opt/ltsp/i386

filename :
/ltsp/i386/nbi.img

Negotiation:
..size = 145456KB

bs=1024, sz=145456

This machine (if
more RAM is added) will boot a Ubuntu 8.04 i386 Desktop CD.

This machine does
not change its thin client behavior if RAM is increased to 768MB, or
if an AGP video card is used instead.

Turning off the
onboard network card and inserting a generic RTL8039 PCI 100MBit card
produces the same result, apart from the IP and MAC address.

Turning off
spread-spectrum & BIOS shadowing makes no difference.

Where should I go from here?

Thanks,

Ian Mackenzie

Old 04-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Jean-Francois CLEMENT

Hi,

see the messages about lts.conf, for example change the color depth to
16 bits and other tunning, but IMHO you have powerfull PCs go to see :

David Van Assche's documentation at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPFatClients
just avoid to do "swap" over the LAN and make a 512 Mo partition on
clients, you can also save ram by choosing XFCE (Xubuntu)

best regards

JFC

--
Jean-François CLEMENT