Old 04-27-2008, 08:01 PM
alan c

Default Confusion for Hardy 8.04 Desktop CD

I distribute, demonstrate, and install edubuntu (as a volunteer), (and
k/ubuntu also) CDs locally. I am currently very confused about the
8.04 Edubuntu live CD.....

see
http://www.edubuntu.org/Download
========================
Try Edubuntu before installing

The Desktop CD allows you to try Edubuntu without changing your
computer at all and has an option to install it permanently later at
your convenience. Note that the Desktop CD is known as the "Live CD"
in releases before 7.04 and is only a workstation solution, it does
not contain Edubuntu's server components.

1. Get the Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop CD
2. Get the Ubuntu 8.04 educational add-on CD
========================

Is the above information mistaken?

When I follow the link at item 1. above I am directed either to a
ubuntu only live cd or an add on cd which is appropriate for installation.

Maybe the old style edubuntu live CD is no longer available (?) as a
'try edubuntu before installing' possibiity, but the above extract
still asserts that it is. However there are confusing messages in the
content nearby, explaining the new and old approaches.

My requirement is a CD which will run 8.04 as an edubuntu
(workstation) live CD.
Can anyone clarify the situation please?

--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391

Old 04-27-2008, 10:22 PM
"Krsnendu dasa"

I have download and used the edubuntu addon cd and found that I did
not need most of the programs on it. It is more efficient for me to
use synaptic for just the programs I need.
The edubuntu addon CD includes a bunch of educational apps and the
edubuntu theme (icons, desktop background, splash etc.) You don't
really need it as you can install everything with apt-get or synaptic.

I recommend setting up a bootable live usb with persistence. Then you
can use the live ubuntu cd and customize it to use the educational
apps you want. You can even install Kubuntu desktop too if you want.
Get at least 4Gb usb stick (even 2 GB works) and follow one of the
howtos available by google.

I have done it and it was straightforward.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Philipp Schroeder

Hi Alan,

alan c schrieb:
> I distribute, demonstrate, and install edubuntu (as a volunteer), (and
> k/ubuntu also) CDs locally. I am currently very confused about the
> 8.04 Edubuntu live CD.....
>
> see
> http://www.edubuntu.org/Download
> ========================
> Try Edubuntu before installing
>
> The Desktop CD allows you to try Edubuntu without changing your
> computer at all and has an option to install it permanently later at
> your convenience. Note that the Desktop CD is known as the "Live CD"
> in releases before 7.04 and is only a workstation solution, it does
> not contain Edubuntu's server components.
>
> 1. Get the Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop CD
> 2. Get the Ubuntu 8.04 educational add-on CD
> ========================
>
> Is the above information mistaken?
>
> When I follow the link at item 1. above I am directed either to a
> ubuntu only live cd or an add on cd which is appropriate for installation.
>
> Maybe the old style edubuntu live CD is no longer available (?) as a
> 'try edubuntu before installing' possibiity, but the above extract
> still asserts that it is. However there are confusing messages in the
> content nearby, explaining the new and old approaches.
>
> My requirement is a CD which will run 8.04 as an edubuntu
> (workstation) live CD.
> Can anyone clarify the situation please?

I just realised that the information you mention is indeed incorrect. I
will remove that misleading paragraph from the website. Sorry for the
confusion!

I mistakenly thought it was possible to install the "Edubuntu Desktop"
meta package from the add-on cd __into the live session__ of a booted
Ubuntu desktop cd. That won't work, though, because the live session
needs the Ubuntu cd in the cd-rom drive.

Krsnendu Dasa's suggestion of making a bootable "live" usb memory stick
sounds worth trying.

Best,
Philipp

Edubuntu.org webmaster

--

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Philipp Schroeder
DIN15 / Information Architecture & Interaction Design
www.din15.org, philipp@din15.org

Old 04-28-2008, 05:00 AM
alan c

Philipp Schroeder wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> alan c schrieb:
>> I distribute, demonstrate, and install edubuntu (as a volunteer), (and
>> k/ubuntu also) CDs locally. I am currently very confused about the
>> 8.04 Edubuntu live CD.....
>>
>> see
>> http://www.edubuntu.org/Download
>> ========================
>> Try Edubuntu before installing
>>
>> The Desktop CD allows you to try Edubuntu without changing your
>> computer at all and has an option to install it permanently later at
>> your convenience. Note that the Desktop CD is known as the "Live CD"
>> in releases before 7.04 and is only a workstation solution, it does
>> not contain Edubuntu's server components.
>>
>> 1. Get the Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop CD
>> 2. Get the Ubuntu 8.04 educational add-on CD
>> ========================
>>
>> Is the above information mistaken?
>>
>> When I follow the link at item 1. above I am directed either to a
>> ubuntu only live cd or an add on cd which is appropriate for installation.
>>
>> Maybe the old style edubuntu live CD is no longer available (?) as a
>> 'try edubuntu before installing' possibiity, but the above extract
>> still asserts that it is. However there are confusing messages in the
>> content nearby, explaining the new and old approaches.
>>
>> My requirement is a CD which will run 8.04 as an edubuntu
>> (workstation) live CD.
>> Can anyone clarify the situation please?
>
> I just realised that the information you mention is indeed incorrect. I
> will remove that misleading paragraph from the website. Sorry for the
> confusion!
>
> I mistakenly thought it was possible to install the "Edubuntu Desktop"
> meta package from the add-on cd __into the live session__ of a booted
> Ubuntu desktop cd. That won't work, though, because the live session
> needs the Ubuntu cd in the cd-rom drive.
>
> Krsnendu Dasa's suggestion of making a bootable "live" usb memory stick
> sounds worth trying.
>
> Best,
> Philipp
>
> Edubuntu.org webmaster

Thanks Philipp
That sorts the confusion.

Unfortunately, for marketing, demonstration and hand-out activities
(note 1) it is much better to be able to hand out and demonstrate on
the spot if needed, a 'Production' released Live CD.

The original live cds were good for this. Losing them is a loss to
edubuntu marketing.

I prefer to avoid designing live cds etc by myself - my skills are not
really in that direction and if they were, the marketing activity is
partly to show people that a 'brand' or 'product' actually exists. A
'Production' version, or an item made by the central 'Team' of the
product has a credibility for 'Marketing' which a locally made version
does not.

I am not suggesting the technical functions are lacking. I see a need
for more effective marketing, and the loss of distributed live CDs is
a small step backwards in that sense.

Note 1:
I display monthly on a non trading basis at a local computer fair.
Although most of the interest centres on K/Ubuntu, Edubuntu is also
discussed.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391