Old 04-26-2008, 07:12 AM
"Paul J. Thompson"

Default Hardy - AMD64 server and i386 thin clients

Hi,

Has anyone got a 64bit server with i386 clients working? I tried this in Feisty and in Gusty but had no joy. In fact, the only setup that I have had working well (all i386) has been with Feisty.

Now that Hardy is out I would like to upgrade and finally be able to enjoy all the new goodies. So can I now run a 64bit server with i386 clients?* If it is possible can anyone please give me some pointers so as to ensure I make a success of it. In the past, everything appeared to install correctly but the thin clients just would not boot. Yet all these thin clients boot perfectly with Feisty.

Thank you,

Paul Thompson

Old 04-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Asmo Koskinen

Paul J. Thompson kirjoitti:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone got a 64bit server with i386 clients working?

Me?

http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/Edubuntu_7.10_Classroom_Server_(x86_64)
http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/Edubuntu_8.04_Classroom_Server_(x86_64)
http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/Ubuntu_8.04_Alternate_(x86_64)

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:43 AM

hi Paul,

i tried this and failed miserably - it delayed my successful install for at least 3 months.* it wasn't until i learned my amd64 h/w server allowed me to install the i386 version of edubuntu that it all came together nicely.* my guess is the difference is negligible since most programs aren't coded for 64-bit, unless you want to have more than 4 gigs of ram.

you have to deal with all the, "oh, that howto doesn't work, since it is for i386, and there are no 64-bit howto" issues.* my friend had non stop printer problems where i386 setup howtos were plentiful, but not amd64 setup howtos.

of course, your needs and point of view may differ, i'm just offering up my 2
cents.

oe1

Has anyone got a 64bit server with i386 clients working? I tried this in Feisty and in Gusty but had no joy. In fact, the only setup that I have had working well (all i386) has been with Feisty.

Now that Hardy is out I would like to upgrade and finally be able to enjoy all the new goodies. So can I now run a 64bit server with i386 clients?* If it is possible can anyone please give me some pointers so as to ensure I make a success of it. In the past, everything appeared to install correctly but the thin clients just would not boot. Yet all these thin clients boot perfectly with
Feisty.

Thank you,

Paul Thompson

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 04-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Asmo Koskinen

operationsengineer1@yahoo.com kirjoitti:
> my guess is the difference is negligible since most programs aren't coded for 64-bit, unless you want to have more than 4 gigs of ram.

You can use more than 4 Gb ram with Ubuntu LTSP-i386-server. I use 6 Gb:

http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP-Ruutukaappaukset/ltsp-master-htop.png
http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP-Ruutukaappaukset/ltsp-slave-htop.png

Do not go on the 64-bit system in the school environment, where you need
Flash, Java-plug-in and so on.

On the pure adult office environment, it is ok to me (basically just OOo
and FF).

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:22 PM
infiniti_guy

Paul,

I believe the amd64 Ubuntu installation installs amd64 client build
environment by default. Make sure you update your ltspfs ltsp-server and
ltsp-standalone packages (use synaptic or apt-get). Then I would run this
command:
# sudo ltsp-build-client --arch i386

This will take some time, but will install your i386 environment.

FYI - Remember anytime you need to update the client environment, keys,
kernel, etc. you need to add the --arch i386 option after your command.

Yes there are some issues running an amd64 ltsp server I have noticed:
1) Flash - gnash flash (64bit) does not run on clients for some reason,
2) local device behavior is wierd (i get devices popping up on all desktops,
but I don't know if this is an amd64 or i386 error, may be an ltsp or
configuration error),
3) LDM_DirectX has poor video performance- worse than when using the ssh
encryption, which does not make sense.. means something is broken).
Problem #1, flash (and java), can be fixed by using a 32 bit version of
firefox or by running firefox as local app, which is more complicated and
less desirable for user experience as requires switching between desktop and
local apps). Problems 2 and 3 may not be amd64 ltsp server issues and may be
present on all builds. Other than that, it works fine.

I hope this helps :-)