-   -   formatting hard disk..what do I not know? (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/76216-formatting-hard-disk-what-do-i-not-know.html)

Munroe Sollog 04-25-2008 06:55 PM

formatting hard disk..what do I not know?

It is an error. If you are familiar with *nix you might want try the
alternate installer (there is a check box on the download page). It
is ncurses based and tends to be a little less buggy. However, the
very existence of Ubuntu is focused toward making intelligent
decisions for the user so the user doesn't have to know what gparted
is, or even what a partition is.

Munroe Sollog
Systems Engineer
Digirati Consulting, Inc
sollog@digiraticonsulting.com

Gavin McCullagh 04-25-2008 09:15 PM

formatting hard disk..what do I not know?

Hi,

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Jayson Rowe wrote:

> I do not think it would be remotely possible to fit even a basic Ubuntu
> Server install on a 500MB root partition - I could see maybe a small
> 50MB-200-MB /boot partition but that's too small for / in this day and age
> IMHO

Of course it would be possible -- presuming you made separate partitions
for way /usr and /var which it sounds like he probably intended doing.

Even ignoring that though, 19GB would be an outrageous minimum size for a
root partition. It's not like this is vista. A bug in the install CD
(which should ideally be reported on launchpad.net) sounds like the best
explanation to me.

As someone else said, "advanced" installation, for people who have specific
requirements, are best done with the -alternate- CD which will give you the
"hole hawg" experience you crave (including LVM and software RAID if you so
desire). In fairness to the developers, this apparent bug aside, the live
CD installer is created to have relatively few choices with newbies in mind
and I think that's a laudable goal.

Gavin

"Paderick Lundy" 04-26-2008 05:24 AM

formatting hard disk..what do I not know?

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions.* I will download the alternate installer and perhaps It will be more comfortable.

Joseph